Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
276 Posts
1) Will this coating adversely affect the quality of light my NPT receives?
Depends.
Is your window simply "low-E" or is it actually tinted? The "low-E" removes Ultraviolet and sometimes Infrared. Your plants don't need wavelength from either of these light spectrum.

In fact, some people that have a metal halide bulb place a piece of filtering glass between it and the tank so the little fishies don't get a sunburn. Although some people don't think its necessary to do this, I think its a nice gesture to the fish. After all, in nature they can find an area of their lake or stream that is deep enough to protect them from UV if its bothering them. In the tank they don't have this luxury. Well, I got off on a tangent didn't I???

Anyway, if it is in fact coated to remove some of the visible spectrum of light, you might be in for a problem if you wish to use it as a viable light source.

· Premium Member
276 Posts
'Fishies getting sunburn', never thought of it that way- how refreshing:)
Haha.
Yes, that was one of my more clever moments for the day.
Anyway, you shouldn't have to worry about it because normal glass filters out most of the bad stuff when it comes to window light. The only problem with bulb light is with the metal halides, not the fluros. You, or should I say your fishes, should be alright.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.