Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some nice Java Fern daughters about 3 months old. They look just about the size to transplant, however I read on this forum, somewhere, that they will release themselves from the mother plant when they are ready to transplant-----on a rock or driftwood somewhere. Is this true? Do I just wait for them to drift free of the mother plant? A couple of the mother leaves looked pretty brown & black so I cut them loose and transplanted a few of the daughter plants ( which look green and great) in a larger tank by placing them in some cracks in the driftwood root. I was just curious about this work of nature.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. When I first purchased the java plant I had no idea what it was or how to plant it -----so I just planted it in the substrate with some other aquatic plants that I purchased. Then I noticed that little black round beads started appearing on the botttom of the leaf. I thought something had attacked my plant so I tried to rub them off. Later I learned in an aquatic plant book that these little black beads produce babie/daughter plants. Hmmmm, live & learn. The new java ferns sure are beautiful.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts