Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm new and would like to get into aquascaping, but have a few questions. I've seen driftwood pieces used in aquariums, and planned to go out to the beach to pick my own. However, I was warned that it would be likely that the wood would be full of parasites, maybe chemicals from the lake that I wouldn't want polluting my tank. I've asked around, and I've been told to boil, or bake the wood in order to sterilize it.

So my question is this: Are there any specific processes that you all use for treating your driftwood? I don't want to set fire to my house.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

To treat uncured Driftwood you should sterilize it by soaking it in a mixture of a quarter cup of chlorox per gallon of water.

After such a treatment it will need to be held in a container of fresh untreated water for a period of at least a week, with the water being changed completely daily.

If your Driftwood floats, use a rock or brick to hold it down in a temporary container; it should soon waterlog and then sink on it's own. This can take up to a month or longer.

Mine just seemed like it would not sink, so I stuck it in the dishwasher (it was too big for the sink) and ran it through a nice HOT cycle and it seemed to do the trick with making it sink

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all, I'm new and would like to get into aquascaping, but have a few questions. I've seen driftwood pieces used in aquariums, and planned to go out to the beach to pick my own. However, I was warned that it would be likely that the wood would be full of parasites, maybe chemicals from the lake that I wouldn't want polluting my tank. I've asked around, and I've been told to boil, or bake the wood in order to sterilize it.

So my question is this: Are there any specific processes that you all use for treating your driftwood? I don't want to set fire to my house.

Thanks in advance for your help.
I have successfully treated driftwood several times. Depending on the size there are several methods. I found some really nice pieces at the pond near my house but was skeptical about parasitism. I had really large pieces that could not be boiled. I place the XXXlrg pieces in a rubber 40gl container with a 1:4 of bleach and water mix. Then after 2 weeks of soaking the water was changed and fresh water added for a week. The third week a salt water bath was used (2:1) for one week followed by one week of fresh water. These pieces were really big!!! Then the pieces were sun baked for a month followed by soaking for an additional to weeks so it would sink!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts