Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have some otos that are getting ich and want to treat before it hits the rasboras, cories and gourami. I would be using Malachite Green as a treatment.

I am pretty sure that anubias, marsilea and my crypts won't be affected, but I have a "special" plant in the tank. This is "algae scape" tank with EXTENSIVE "planting" of Cladophora sp. algae.

Does anyone forsee any problems? I know to use 1/2 dosing cause of some fish sensitivity.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Gomer, I've used Kick-Ick with very good results. Seeming no harm to anything but the Ick.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Gomer, I would suggest two weeks at a temp of 86, slowly raised til you get to 86, if your plants can handle the warmer temps. Then, you wont need any medications. Increase aeration however -- not sure how that will work with your Co2. Although I have not personally tried it, many people on another site I am on have done it very successfully.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I'm thinking the Malachite Green might be a little harsh on both your fish and plants.
Perhaps a better way to go would be something like Coppersafe.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I am not very knowledgable about treating fish ailments (fortunately the need has not arisen) but one thing I remember reading once was the use of Hydrogen peroxide. Slightly warmer temps and the caustic effect of the peroxide aparently was very detrimental to the ich itself. Sounded like it iritated the ich on the fish so that it would detach where it died in the substrate. My understanding was that ich cannont last very long away from the host. Possibly removing the affected fish for quarantine and treatment and then a 2H2O treatment of the tank would help eradicate any free ich there before they find new hosts. I don't know how the H peroxide would affect your "algae" plants. Can the wood or rocks with it be removed to a seperate bucket or something for treatment. If its algae the peroxide might hurt it but I am sure it would survive quite nicely many other conditions;)

Hope that was atleast moderatly helpful, remember I have not tried this so.....

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Gomer said:
malachite green has no copper in it.
I know, that's why I'm suggesting the Copper Safe. :) The Malachite green is one of the harsher chemicals out there and could harm your fish, plants and algae, so I think the Copper safe would more than likely do a better job and be less of a risk.

If you remember Vicki, here is a good article about treating ich in the planted tank from her site. http://www.vickisaquaticplace.com/Ichfish.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts