Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some gotta have parameters for blyxa. I have a 40w CF over my 10gal with 30-45 ppm CO2 adding flourish, excel, and occasional trace. All of this is in Flourite.

I have a small blyxa that looked pretty good when I started but hasn't really done anything compared to my other plants (rotala, HC, dwarf hairgrass, ludwigia, kompakt hygro).

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
By flourish I hope you mean all 3 types, nitrogen (N), phosphorus (P) and Potassium (K). These are the macros. Just the plain flourish is the micros.- trace minerals. Plants need light+nutrients (macros, & micros) + carbon source (CO2 or excell). You have the light, you have the carbon source and you have the micros. Where are your macros? Maybe your plant is starving!

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
How long have you had it? When I first got some, I lost 75% of the plants in the 'changeover' to my tank's conditions. Since then, I have never had any problems unless they start getting shaded by others in the tank. Continue dosing normally and give it a little more time.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
I have noticed on two separate occasions now, that when I run my tank lean on nitrates Blyxa japonica does not thrive. Since you do not mention adding any nitrates to your tank, this would be my guess as to why your Blyxa is not thriving.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
In my first setup, I had 7 wpg lighting, CO2 and AS II - Bylxa, HC and stems were planted from the start. I went through a period of Blyxa melt (new leaves came and went) while the other plants thrived. I wasn't after 4 weeks until the Blyxa started to look good again

In my rescape, the Blyxa was planted after the tank finished cycling and it took off immediately. No melt.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's basically looking melty. You guys are right, I'm not adding macros (bangs head against wall). I had them last time I set up a tank like this (two years ago) but I forgot entirely this time!

Also, I've been too cheap to buy another lamp for my fixture...the one it came with is 10,000k/420nm actinic and it looks really washed out and isn't doing much for the plants. Especially since I have two dario darios in there and they look mostly blue.

So I think I'm going to pick up a 6500/10,000 bulb...hmmm that was rather unrelated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
flourish has no3 in it.
from my experience at the beggining it takes time for blyxa to lookk good and grow but after a while it grows like a jungel. just keep the co2 in a good amount and dose the tank with the ferts

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
flourish has no3 in it.
from my experience at the beggining it takes time for blyxa to lookk good and grow but after a while it grows like a jungel. just keep the co2 in a good amount and dose the tank with the ferts
Flourish doesn't have nearly enough nitrate in it for a planted tank with even moderately high light. It is best to ignore the nitrate in Flourish and just treat it as a trace element mix. And, that holds true for the small amount of phosphate in Flourish too - you need to add more phosphate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.