Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

First off thank you for having us here on Aquatic Plant Central.

We are planning to offer a special all in one aquarium package specifically designed for planted tank hobbyists. Please give us your feedback as to what you would like to see in it.

So far the highlights include:

* Trimless/Braceless Aquarium
* Stand
* Aquatronica Aquarium Controller
* Sfiligoi Aquarium Lighting- 150 watt MH + T5 + Monlights
* Heater
* Return Pump

thank you!
Team AO

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I agree. Kits are not my think either as I have never seen one fit my needs. Also, IMO, planted tank folks are not quite like reefers. Many of us are tech junkies, true, but rarely to we go to the lengths that our reefer bretheren will.

You want some ideas, here's mine:
-competetive prices on custom/standard size rimless tanks and reasonable shipping.
-Lighting options that are full coverage, ie, instead of 2x55watt tubes mounted in the center of a 29 gallon, try 2 sets of 2x32, or staggered banks of T5.
-12" deep tanks are aweful, try creating a line of tanks that are at least 14" deep. 24x14x14 would be a great example of size as people could still use store bought stands as long as they placed an auxiliary top on it, but have the extra aquascaping depth
-Good light hanging systems that attach to the stand side or top

Most of us could careless about fancy, expensive controllers and your lighting is way to expensive for many in the hobby, though I am sure it is very nice and I can certainly understand the price. I am not knocking your prices, but planted tank folks are less likely to spend the money that reefers will and if you want a strong market in this hobby, you'll need to work with that.

I hope to see you around as I know a rimless tank or two will be in my future.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey,

Thanks guys thats what we need!

Most of us here are reefers. Infomation like this is invaluable to us serving the members here better.

24x14x14 is no problem. I will add this option to our Aquariums on the website. Any other sizes of Trimless/Braceless you guys want to see?

thanks,

And keep the comments coming!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Aquarium Obsessed said:
Hey Everyone,

First off thank you for having us here on Aquatic Plant Central.

We are planning to offer a special all in one aquarium package specifically designed for planted tank hobbyists. Please give us your feedback as to what you would like to see in it.

So far the highlights include:

* Stand
* Aquatronica Aquarium Controller
* Heater
* Return Pump

thank you!
Team AO
i think some of the stuff in the kit are "luxury" goods that just make thing complicated, this is what i am looking for in a kit really:

* Stand
* external co2 reactor
* builtin input/output or glass lily pipes to go with the trimeless aquarium

most people going for rimless tanks want the cleaniest look (ada style) so it's essential not to have a lot of stuff cluttering up the tank like heaters etc, they should all be external hidden. I think if you can have built in input/out etc in a overflow at the corner of the tank, it would be a big sale point.

you have a very unique website with a lot of cool stuff not offered anywhere else, if the prices/shipping are good

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Many people seem to like the cube tanks also as they offer a lot of depth(width). I personally would be interested in a low price MH fixture but I can't imagine many package deals woudl sell with this. It would be a nice option though for larger tanks. Especially with bulbs in the 8000K range. I would suggest trying something like package deals that the customer gets to peice together themself from a selection of products where savings add up the larger the package is. IE
Tank + Light combo some $ off
Tank + Light + Canister Filter combo more $ off
Tank + Light + Canister Filter + Plus Co2 Regulator + even more $ off.
I think people like deals like this and it promotes customers buying all of their products through you.
I think above all else though customer service, craftsmanship, quality products, cheap shipping, and knowledge of the hobby can go a long way even if the price isn't the best, take ADA for example. As the others said though to get more volume in this hobby the price definately has to be right or most hobbiest will go back to what they have bought in the past.

my two cents

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
The Tek lights are the most popular among those who use T5. In general, for planted tanks we need a K rating between 5000 and 10,000. I have used and been very happy with the GE Starcoats, though typically I am more inclined toward bulbs in the 10,000k range.

Spectrum is sort of a mute pont for us since the bulb options are so limited. We have no need to be so specific as to want 420nm over 460nm; our plant photosynthesize over a wider range. That said, we typically will use any suitable bulb in the afore mentioned range that is appealing to us visually. I prefer a crisper, white light while many prefer a more sunlight appearance like 6700k.

T5's are nice and I am glad to see them becomming popular. There are now a few brand options out there and I am sure there will be more. The price is still high, but that is to be expected in a small market. Regardless of how noce T5s are, they are only as nice as the reflectors behind them, so keep that in mind.

I think you folks need a consultant;) hint:)

·
Registered
908 Posts
I to use the Tek t-5. I use the same ge star coats that Dennis talked about. But since I am just in highschool the prices of your products while probably reasonable for the technology and quality are out of mine and many of our price ranges. It is good to see a business who is trying to bring such great technology to the planted community. I wish you guys success.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Since no one mentioned this, I believe I should say that only the High Output T5's are of any use to planted tankers.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Aquarium Obsessed said:
Most of us here are reefers. Infomation like this is invaluable to us serving the members here better.

And keep the comments coming!
I think Dennis has pretty much covered everything but I will toss in my .02 also ;)

I absolutely hate tanks that are 12" wide and will never buy another one for a planted tank! They just don't work well in my opinion. Make a tank that is 14", 16", or 18" wide and I would be interested. 24" wide would be even better.

I really like the idea of your "Blue Series" tanks with starfire glass. I would love one of your Blue Series 100 (minus the overflow and sump) tanks but unfortunately I will never be able to afford it. An overflow and sump tend to outgas the CO2 in a planted tank and should probably be left off planted tanks. Quite honestly, I think there are very few in the hobby that would be able to afford these tanks. Like Dennis, I am not knocking the price but trying to give you a realistic outlook.

One of these days when prices on the T-5 lights come down, I may give them a try. I would rather spend $60 and DIY a T-8 setup than pay $300+ for a T-5 setup but I'm cheap :) T-8 lamps work just fine for nearly any plant out there and in my opinion mre light is just overkill. T-8 lamps are the new rage in lighting so I imagine given another year or so there will be more options in the market.

I guess the moral of my ramblings is that planted tank folks like to do things inexpensively. DIY is big just like it is on the Reef side since most equipment just costs too much money for most hobbyists to afford. If you can figure out a way to offer some planted setups at a decent price you will be very successful.

Dennis would make an excellent consultant too :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts