Aquatic Plant Forum banner

What size Trimless / Braceless tank would you like to see?

• 20x12x12

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • 24x14x14

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • 24x24x16

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • 30x16x16

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 36x16x16

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • 36x24x16

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • OTHER

Votes: 12 36.4%
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Aquarium Obsessed is going to develop a new line of Trimless / Braceless Aquariums exclusively for the planted tank community. We thought the best way to get an idea of what you would like to see is to post a poll of some of the sizes we are thinking of and you let us know what you think!

If there is a size that you'd like to see that's not included, please select OTHER and write a quick message.

Also, we'd like to know what you think of:

Black Silicone vs. Clear Silicone
Stands
Light Hangers
Regular Glass vs. Starphire / Low-Iron Glass

Thanks!

Andrew

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Dream tank....... 72" x 24" x 24", Starphire front & sides, no trim, black silicone. I'm guessing that 72" is a bit of a stretch without some support at the top, but you asked. :)

·
Registered
432 Posts
I think everybody is going the wrong direction by focusing on the glass/acrylic/equipment itself. It's like trying to make the parts under the sheetmetal of a sports car look good. Yeah, you can chrome it, but it still looks crappy to me.

You asked about stands. I'd like to see a version of my DIY enclosure shown below where the dark purple part goes all the way to the floor. Then it doesn't matter how the tank is made, although a starfire front glass would be cool. That's a standard 90 gallon tank sitting on an adjustable support frame on top of the dresser. The enclosure doesn't support or even touch the tank itself.

I've thought about how it could be made with hardwood or Corian, but that gets it into a high dollar range.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That has to be one of the most interesting setups I've ever seen! It's really a piece of furnature isn't it? Almost like a TV or something.

I'm not sure that it would be viable in a commercial sense because most people like to view from the sides as well.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I am WAY ahead of my time.

Mark my words: There will come a time when the 'cool thang' is a tank/support/enclosure made entirely of glass where most of it is frosted except for the view window into the tank. It will shine with neon and cause even the most hard-hearted among us to become like hamsters.

The inhabitants will also be engineered and glow in the dark...or something.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I'm wondering....

Do you have a production run of a certain size tank anticipating future demand or do you build to order?

I ask because there is quite a a few options each tank can have. While someone may want a 24x14x14 with and over flow on the right, another may want the same but on the left, or centered. With so many possible options can you do a production run?

What sort of cost savings does a run offer the consumer over a built to order?

What time savings in having a production run tank delivered over a built to order?

Can one add limited options to a production run tank, such as having it drilled?

Can you provide some pricing comparisions of a few a the standard sizes you find normally build. In both standard and low iron glass.

Shipping....

How do you ship?

What are some typical shipping times and avg rates to various areas in the US?

Boston?

Atlanta?

Miami?

Dallas?

LA?

Seattle?

Kansas City?

Personally I'd like to see a 24" cube with a 1/3 height overflow in a back corner, a single hole drilled through the back with plumbing for a canister filter drain on one side. 3 sides low iron, back in black

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm wondering....

Do you have a production run of a certain size tank anticipating future demand or do you build to order?
We are a build to order company. We do not warehouse pre-made tanks. You tell us what you want and we custom build it. It would be nice if we could put together a type of group buy from the members here so we could build say 10 tanks this would make it alot easier to offer you savings.

I ask because there is quite a a few options each tank can have. While someone may want a 24x14x14 with and over flow on the right, another may want the same but on the left, or centered. With so many possible options can you do a production run??
We have no problem offering different options for different people. Moving overflows or drilling holes in different spots is easy provided we have a clear diagram from you the customer.

What sort of cost savings does a run offer the consumer over a built to order?
As you can understand alot of factors come into play when discussing discounts. One thing I can assure you is we will make it worth while for members. The other guarantee is the quality from our company is always top notch.

What time savings in having a production run tank delivered over a built to order?
As mentioned if we can cut, polish, and assemble 10 tanks in a run versus waiting for individual orders alot of time can be saved. How much obviously depends on tank sizes, design, and other factors.

Can one add limited options to a production run tank, such as having it drilled?
Yes no problem :)

Can you provide some pricing comparisions of a few a the standard sizes you find normally build. In both standard and low iron glass.
Let me work on this for you guys.

Shipping....

How do you ship?
Again this depends on size. A small tank like alot of the ones mentioned above would ship via say UPS. Large tanks are skidded and delivered to your door by a reputable trucking company.

Excellent questions! thank you.

AO

·
Registered
337 Posts
I voted other due to you not having a cube in your list. Size is less of a consideration for me but I truly like the cube more than a rectangle or a hex. Just a note: For it to be a good cube it would be slightly taller than wide and deep to allow for substrate. I love the rimless/braceless tank. If I did buy a rectangle again it would have an encloser/stand like Twood's or be built into the wall.

Thanks for listening,
dale

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the replies! After talking to various members and reviewing the Poll results, we've "narrowed" down a list of tanks that will be posted with pricing on our website soon.

Each of these tanks are Trimless/Braceless and will be available in either Regular Glass or Starphire (Low-Iron). There are no holes or overflows.

As Will explained earlier in the thread, each of these tanks can be customized with Overflows (Internal or External), Holes, Painted Backs, Bracing or whatever else you are interested in.

Let us know what you think!

24x14x14 - 20G
24x18x22 - 40G
24x24x16 - 40G
24x24x24 - 60G
24x30x24 - 75G
30x18x18 - 42G
36x16x16 - 40G
36x24x16 - 60G
36x36x20 - 112G
48x18x22 - 82G
60x24x24 - 150G
72x24x24 - 180G

Thanks!

Andrew
Aquarium Obsessed

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Nice. I think people will especially like your 24 cube. I think the 36x36x20 is an interesting shape too. Good luck to you guys. Do you have a photo gallery of your work somewhere?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you go to our website: Aquarium Obsessed - Aquatronica, Custom Aquariums, H&S, Tunze, Fauna Marin, Milwaukee, Prodibio, Shuran, Sfiligoi and More! and click on Forums, there is a forum called Customer Tanks. We've started to put pictures up of many of the tanks we do.

I'm going to try and get a gallery started on the main site soon. I'll have a picture of the 24x24x24 soon as we have one being constructed for our Blue Series Marine Aquariums.

Andrew

guaiac_boy said:
Nice. I think people will especially like your 24 cube. I think the 36x36x20 is an interesting shape too. Good luck to you guys. Do you have a photo gallery of your work somewhere?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
a few factors here: what is likely to be the most popular? (the more we can batch, the cheaper it gets), what is reasonable to ship, what is easy to light?

24" tanks IMO are where it is at.
I would say something like 24Wx16Hx14D would have about idea dimensions although it would require people to use custom stands...then again, someone getting a tank like this would likely also be using a custom stand.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Aquarium Obsessed said:
We can do a trimless/braceless as large as 72x30x24! It is 3/4" glass with no Euro-brace at all :).
Can you do this with clear silicone without fillets?

Brian

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
all ADA tanks have beveled edges, inside and out. There are no 90deg edges. this happens creates a little more gap inside so that the silicone stays inside the edge so you don't have have "fillets".

see the photo below and look at the fuzzy, thin silicone area that most US tanks have. That is the fillet part that I believe is being referenced.

compare to the ADA corners

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The way the ADA tanks are built are how we build all our tanks. Our Production Manager Ron is now known on Reef Central as the "best silicone man in the business" :). Precise and clean silicone is mandatory and anything sloppy is never allowed past our Quality Control process.

The glass is high polished on all edges and has bevels on all edges.

Andrew

1 - 20 of 58 Posts