Aquatic Plant Forum banner

What size Trimless / Braceless tank would you like to see?

• 20x12x12

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • 24x14x14

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • 24x24x16

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • 30x16x16

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 36x16x16

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • 36x24x16

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • OTHER

Votes: 12 36.4%
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Gomer is correct, the fillet is the silicone is smoothed around the corner on the inside. it's the part you can see. I have an old hex that is mitered without fillets and it has so much cleaner lines.

I'm considering a large tank in my new house when I get it done and that tank might just be the ticket.

Brian

·
Registered
432 Posts
Now we're supposed to be concerned about silicone fillets?

Dictionary.com fetish:

"2. any object, idea, etc., eliciting unquestioning reverence, respect, or devotion: to make a fetish of high grades."

Bleah

This hobby has entered the sucky zone...

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Concered about silicone fillets? absolutely! That is the first thing I look at on a tank. OA has really small ones, all glass has large ones and ADA has almost non visible ones.

Remember, those who get these types of tanks are all about having a total package...a pure display. What is a gorgous scape, fish stand etc with 1/2" ugly fillets? That is like leving masking tape on glass after you paint the ajoining wall.

(for others, here is an OA tank showing their fillets..stolen from IUnknown :p)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Gomer said:
So you're concerned about fillets but that ugly crap hanging on the side of that tank is okay? And why not show the -real- picture with the truly grotesque glaring lights that have been conveniently cropped out of the photo?

An obsession with process.

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
....Ron is now known on Reef Central as the "best silicone man in the business" :). Precise and clean silicone is mandatory and anything sloppy is never allowed past our Quality Control process.
Here is a photo of jay lutos tank from AO....

It is tough to see the seems in this picture, but i have seen pics of this tank with two different areas in the seems that were carelessly done. Also, there are fillets.

Not trying deflate you guys, but that is a serious claim and it seems that there are some old customers that might not agree with these claim. Have you guys addressed some of these issues?

jB

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Yes, many of those issues have been addressed over the past year or so. Ron joined AO this year and things have really changed in terms of process. The clear silicone that we are using now has a different chemical composition that cures clearer and doesn't bubble the way traditional clear silicone does. We actually prefer to use black silicone, but we understand that some people prefer the clear look. You have the option of black or clear with these tanks.

Andrew

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
According the the manufacturer, the Silicone will remain clear. Now obviously it's impossible to guarentee that! The images posted above were probably made with a standard Aquarium Silicone just like most tanks out there. The product we are using now is more expensive but it's worth the money for the clarity and for the lack of bubbles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Jason Baliban said:
Andrew, thanks for the answer, and not taking my question the wrong way.

I will be interested to see how this works out.

jB
No problem! There is always room for improvement and we'll always accept any constructive critisisum from our customers. The bottom line for us is simply we want to build the best tanks available and provide the best customer service possible.

Andrew

·
Registered
386 Posts
honestly you guys are obsessing, i understand the desire to be a perfectionist but that's just a bit overboard. Once the plants are in, fish schooling, and the tank is lid up, noone will notice or care about some fillet on the edge of a tank.

Andrew, i think the bottomline is still shipping cost + tank cost. You are basically competing with adg for a niche customer base outside of their local area. Adg prices their small tanks very aggressively, so it will be tough to compete, but AO definitly has an advatange on the larger tanks if the prices are right.

any eta on when those tanks listed will be up for sale? :p

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
newguy said:
honestly you guys are obsessing, i understand the desire to be a perfectionist but that's just a bit overboard. Once the plants are in, fish schooling, and the tank is lid up, noone will notice or care about some fillet on the edge of a tank.

Andrew, i think the bottomline is still shipping cost + tank cost. You are basically competing with adg for a niche customer base outside of their local area. Adg prices their small tanks very aggressively, so it will be tough to compete, but AO definitly has an advatange on the larger tanks if the prices are right.

any eta on when those tanks listed will be up for sale? :p
You do speak the truth! I have to be honest, once my reef tank was setup, I haven't looked at the silicone since, it's much more interesting to watch the fish and look at the corals.

You again are correct on the small tank vs. larger tank pricing. On the small stuff, it's tough to be competitve, but in the pricing I worked on today the large tanks will be extreamly well priced and will offer customization options that other companies may not offer as readily.

Pricing should start to go up tomorrow.

Andrew

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
I don't think it's obsessing. Visual aspects of the hardware are enormously important to some people. For some it even borders on a psychiatric diagnosis. It's all in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I like the look of "traditional" aquariums with canopies and such, but I can appreciate the quality and appearance of a nice rimless tank. I applaud AO's efforts to make a quality product. In the end, consumers will decide what they like best. IMO, customer service, availability, and quality will determine where people go for their hardware.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts