Aquatic Plant Forum banner

What size Trimless / Braceless tank would you like to see?

• 20x12x12

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • 24x14x14

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • 24x24x16

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • 30x16x16

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 36x16x16

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • 36x24x16

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • OTHER

Votes: 12 36.4%
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Gomer said:
people who tend to get ADA glasswear and custom starfire tanks are not your usual customers. over obscession and perfectionists are two of many common traits these type of people have. That is like telling a car enthusiast that smudges on a paint job, or even more minor, not wiping off all the wax from a wax job, is ok.
That's it in a nut shell Gomer! Pefectionists will never be able to convince/explain why we would spend twice the money on a tank to a person who doesn't have that "eye". I like the car comparison as well because show cars are one of my obsessions.

I had actually bought a 20gal. All Glass tank before I knew about ADG. After seeing the ADA tanks there, I returned my tank that day, and bought an ADA tank. There's no comparison in my mind. Same thing with the lily pipes. After seeing those I couldn't imagine sticking with the stock green Eheim intakes.

And to the guys at AO, I applaud your efforts to bring high quality products to the market! It seems you are really making an effort to provide what some of us are looking for.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Yes, many of those issues have been addressed over the past year or so. Ron joined AO this year and things have really changed in terms of process. The clear silicone that we are using now has a different chemical composition that cures clearer and doesn't bubble the way traditional clear silicone does. We actually prefer to use black silicone, but we understand that some people prefer the clear look. You have the option of black or clear with these tanks.

Andrew
Andrew, Can you tell me if Ron did the silicone work on Jay Luto's tank?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Here is my honest feedback.

Company:
Andrew and Aquarium Obsessed are great company. They were great to work with. No problems with communication. All phone calls or emails were returned. No problems with shipment either. Tank was secured very well and delivered without any glitches.

Quality:
I will be very honest in this section. If you want ADA quality and overall presentation, you better stick to ADA products. Aquarium Obsessed is far from ADA silicone job. Glass finish, round edges, starphire quality is there. There are some bubbles here and there but they are on the back. Still, I paid for 4 sides of starphire so I was expecting NO bubbles at all. Silicone was also not something what I expected. Poor layout, uneven layers, layers which were not applied with one stroke. You can clearly see that someone stopped in the middle of the tank and restarted with another layer (*see pictures).

I understand where Tony (Gomer) is coming from. I have been in this hobby for 15 years. If I wanted a "decent" tank, I would have got All-Glass. The only reason why I didn't go with ADA was custom dimensions (*I ordered 48x22x20). I want top quality stuff b/c I have money for it. If you want something that looks like ADA, unfortunately AO didn't deliver. If they can do that NOW, I would like to request refund or new tank.

Here are some samples.
Click on below links for Large pictures.
http://greenstouch.com/various/ao_1.jpg
http://greenstouch.com/various/ao_2.jpg

Here are couple small samples.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Here is my honest feedback.

Company:
Andrew and Aquarium Obsessed are great company. They were great to work with. No problems with communication. All phone calls or emails were returned. No problems with shipment either. Tank was secured very well and delivered without any glitches.

Quality:
I will be very honest in this section. If you want ADA quality and overall presentation, you better stick to ADA products. Aquarium Obsessed is far from ADA silicone job. Glass finish, round edges, starphire quality is there. There are some bubbles here and there but they are on the back. Still, I paid for 4 sides of starphire so I was expecting NO bubbles at all. Silicone was also not something what I expected. Poor layout, uneven layers, layers which were not applied with one stroke. You can clearly see that someone stopped in the middle of the tank and restarted with another layer (*see pictures).

I understand where Tony (Gomer) is coming from. I have been in this hobby for 15 years. If I wanted a "decent" tank, I would have got All-Glass. The only reason why I didn't go with ADA was custom dimensions (*I ordered 48x22x20). I want top quality stuff b/c I have money for it. If you want something that looks like ADA, unfortunately AO didn't deliver. If they can do that NOW, I would like to request refund or new tank.

Here are some samples.
Click on below links for Large pictures.
http://greenstouch.com/various/ao_1.jpg
http://greenstouch.com/various/ao_2.jpg

Here are couple small samples.

To be honest Jay, I don't think you deserve a refund or a new tank at all. It was your risk that you took in purchasing a tank from AO, and now months have passed you ask for a refund because they do a better job now? ... that doesn't sound right.

It is like saying, I buy a computer that is slow ... a couple months later they have a computer that is fast ... should I ask for a refund becuase the computer that I bought was slow? ....

I always hear people wanting ADA stuff ... if you can afford it, buy it. If not, don't expect anything better than or equal to ADA for less money. After all if you were looking for ADA quality, get it next time. Enough said.

·
Registered
811 Posts
John,

Let me see .... what is the reason for your reply ? Do you have anything productive to add about the product ???

I can't believe your example and not sure what that has to do with this principle. I have been building my own computers for years now so if you have any further comments about it, please PM me personally. I will entertain this comment for a second though. If I bought Single Core computer in January 2006, I would expect that machine to be in perfect shape without any scratches and no glitches. If in September 2006 AMD released Dual Core, I obviously would not run to Best Buy to complaint about my relatively "slow" computer b/c of Dual Core. Why ? Because I expected to have Singe Core running at 100% capability without any problems.

Same with aquarium tank. I paid $$$ for the tank and assumed that there will be no bubbles, and silicone job would be done fairly well. I did not expected to have ADA quality but trust me, All-Glass finish is better then what I have in front of me. My wife, who knows NOTHING about tanks said "what is wrong with the silicone ?" This comment made me thinking.

Obviously I'm not requesting refund nor I want new tank. This is just a simple comment that I made. What caught my attention is the following statement:

"The way the ADA tanks are built are how we build all our tanks. Precise and clean silicone is mandatory and anything sloppy is never allowed past our Quality Control process."

Please. Look at the pictures and tell me where is the Quality Control process ? If you don't believe me, you are more than welcome to come by and see what I see. I have a problem with something that wasn't done to my tank but is a standard QC policy and is currently advertised as such.

Please review my pictures and my comments. I'm basically stating what I see in my living room. There is nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
The computer is an example ... but why didn't you address the problem after you recieved the tank? ... did it not matter to you until now?

·
Registered
811 Posts
The computer is an example ... but why didn't you address the problem after you recieved the tank? ... did it not matter to you until now?
John,

Why are you dragging this ? Look at the pictures and give your honest feedback about the tank, about the quality, about the finish, about overall presentation.

"The way the ADA tanks are built are how we build all our tanks. Precise and clean silicone is mandatory and anything sloppy is never allowed past our Quality Control process."

Do you agree with this statement after reviewing my sample photographs ? Is this a precise and clean silicone finish in your opinion ?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
John,

Why are you dragging this ? Look at the pictures and give your honest feedback about the tank, about the quality, about the finish, about overall presentation.

Do you agree with this statement after reviewing my sample photographs ? Is this a precise and clean silicone finish in your opinion ?
I clearly understand what you are saying, but I am asking why didn't you address the issue after you recieved the tank and instead waited months later and telling us now? Wouldn't it be better to let them know about it after you got it? that way you are able to get a refund or possibly have a new tank built for you?

·
Registered
811 Posts
I clearly understand what you are saying, but I am asking why didn't you address the issue after you recieved the tank and instead waited months later and telling us now? Wouldn't it be better to let them know about it after you got it? that way you are able to get a refund or possibly have a new tank built for you?
John,

If the company was around the corner, without a doubt, I would ask for another piece or money back. AO is located in Canada and I live in New Jersey. I just had no time nor patience to deal with a tank refund.

I stated the same comments on this forum right after I received my tank. I never posted any pictures though.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Well that happens and theres nothing you can do but accept it as it is. I realize that you are dissapointed but you have to understand that with any company, their quality will probably lower than ADA becuase of the different prices.

But I do want to point out that AO should make sure everything completed to perfection and meet their policy of the tanks they make. Hope they don't make another mistake.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
John, I believe this is the big beef.

I realize that you are dissapointed but you have to understand that with any company, their quality will probably lower than ADA becuase of the different prices.
AO says:
The way the ADA tanks are built are how we build all our tanks. Precise and clean silicone is mandatory and anything sloppy is never allowed past our Quality Control process
Jay shows how his tank does not follow AO's claim.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Two points.

Jay, this should be in another thread, not in this one which is a poll. Your posts do nothing for this thread. I'll gladly move it to a thread of it's own.

John, your posts do not move the discussion along. You act as an agent of the vendor and question motive. While in a general conversation this is to be applauded, in a vendors forum it is out of place.

Lets end this now gentlemen.

Thanks

·
Registered
886 Posts
I think the ideal tank is the 82 gallon (48x19x22). It falls into the common ratio that works great with plants (with 3" of substrate) 2:1:1. There are a lot of light fixtures available for 48". Regarding the clear silicon, the problem is that planted tanks inject Co2, so chances are, most clear silicon will fog. If you can commercialize lighting stand options that would fill a niche where there really are not any options. For example,

My experience with Aquarium Obsessed: When I first ordered the tank, I didn't think it would make it in one piece, coming from Canada. So my expectations were low. I received the tank in a wood pallet, and realized that the shipping was very well done. My tank arrived with scratches on the glass. After awhile, with the money I had spent, I felt bad, because I could get an all-glass tank for cheap without any scratches. You also buy starphire for the clarity of acrylic, without having to worry about the scratches. I talked to Marc and he agreed that If I ever got a bigger tank with them, hey would pay for shipping.

These guys have come a long way, and have grown because I think they run a good business. They know what their customers want, and have the best lighting and aquarium computer options on the market. There prices are good, so I never really expected to compare them to ADA. I'd rather support a company like this, that listens to their customers, compared to Oceanic, that ignores the demand for rimless tanks.

Here is what the current setup looks like, grotesque glaring lights and all,

·
Registered
386 Posts
not to breakup this discussion but why do people keep saying if you want ada you have to pay more. Looking from AO's webiste, it seems they are more expensive or equal to ada tank costs? Do you get better deals if you call or something? just confused, thanks.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Newguy,
Maybe you are comparing AO starphire tanks to ADA float glass tanks? My 20 gallon was $300 (compared to current ADG price of ADA Cube Garden 60-H 'CLEAR' Price: $375.00 ). I was comparing,

ADA CLEAR (starfire-type) 120cm (75 gallon) tank is $1,035.00
48x18x21
* 4 sides Starphire glass - 1/2 glass"
* All edges ground and polished
* trimless
* 1 year warranty
* diamond edge minimal silicone

$799.00 USD + shipping

41 - 58 of 58 Posts