Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can dwarf hairgrass be trimmed without affecting it? I have hairgrass that has some thread algae growing with it. Thought I would cut the hairgrass down to about 1/4" above substrate. Will this hurt the hairgrass?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have the same problem and I trimmed mine real close about 1/4 inch and it starting to grow back.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Thread algae can be combed out, literally. But it helps if you cook it first with a bit of H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide). One or two H2O2 treatments kills it off effectively. Check Giancarlo's article on H2O2 . There might be no need to trim it. But there is a need to find out why you are getting thread algae in the first place - perhaps it comes as a result of dosing Tropica Master Grow or Flourish or Iron? I found that increasing my K by dosing K2SO4 eliminated the thread algae that came about from my dosing TMG.

Andrew Cribb

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
I would think trimming hairgrass would cause the cut blades to begin to die off and then new growth would take the place of the cut blades.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I am starting to question my self, when I get the hair grass. How does it spread through out the whole tank? How exactly do you trim them?

·
Registered
199 Posts
The plant spreads via runners. Maybe every 1/8 inch will be a new blade of grass with a root. Each one of these becomes a new plant. I like to thin mine out with a coarse hair comb. Not only will this remove debris and algea/foreign plants, it will remove some of the baby plants that you can replant or toss. You can also define a border by plucking pulling out the little plants and cutting the runners around your perimeter. Some have even used plastic borders to contain the plant in one spot although I think thats overkill.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just trim mine close to the substrate, much like a GI crewcut. It usually grows back lush and green in about 2-3 weeks. The real pain is removing all the trimmed blades floating around the tank.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When I began using flourish excel, and decreased my vho bulbs from four to three, my thread algae began disappearing. I have cut some of my hair grass. Replanted in the substrate and they are shooting upwards.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts