Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi aquarium enthusiasts,

I'm new to the forum, so I hope I am doing this right by asking my question here.
I recently started the aquarium hobby and am having some difficulties with my eleocharis pusilla and anubias minima.
The anubias is developing some brown spots and slight leaf curling. From what I read I was thinking it may be a light issue (9h/d full light, rest of the time the low ambient light in room). The rhizome is not in the substrate, but glued on the slate rock)
The eleocharis on the other hand looks like its melting away on me. I was reading it may be due to the change from in vitro growth to submerged growth. I was thinking of cutting it down to about 5-10mm above the gravel.
I did not use any fertilizer as I thought the soil (JBL aquabasis plus) should have a decent amount of nutrients to begin with, or no?

What do you guys think? I would really appreciate your inputs!

Aquarium specs:
  • 60l long
  • JBL monado gravel
  • JBL aquabasis plus
  • Slate rock, driftwood
  • Juwel Bioflow one filter
  • Juwel Novolux 60 LED

• Temp 24°C
  • pH 7-7.2
  • Nitrite 0
  • Nitrate 10
  • GH°d ~10
  • KH°d ~10

• 3 peppered corys (1 or 2 more to follow)
  • 6 amano shrimps

• Montecarlo
  • Java moss
  • Hydrocotyle Leucocephala
  • Limnobium Spongia

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try rubbing the brown spots off the leaf or is it permanent?
The eleocharis could be harder to grow. They probably need higher light and CO2.
Thanks a lot for your reply.

Just tried rubbing the spots of, you were right! Guess it was just some algea..

Hmm, I was hoping to avoid installing a CO2 system. I can increase the lighting time though.. You think its a good idea considering my other plants?

Have a nice evening,
Connor

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
E. pusilla is not going to grow out of a 2 feet deep tank.
Hah, I had no idea. I saw a few tanks where people had them fully submerged, but their systems where more sophisticated with CO2 etc.
So are you saying my lighting is inadequate for E. pusilla or the issue is that i fully submerged it?

For the record though, the water column above the plant is barely a foot high.
My lighting is 8W LED / 624 Lumen spaced over about 15 gallons.

Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hah, I had no idea. I saw a few tanks where people had them fully submerged, but their systems where more sophisticated with CO2 etc.
So are you saying my lighting is inadequate for E. pusilla or the issue is that i fully submerged it?

For the record though, the water column above the plant is barely a foot high.
My lighting is 8W LED / 624 Lumen spaced over about 15 gallons.

Thanks!

E. pusilla is an aquatic plant as far as I know, it wants to be submerged! I have a feeling it would die if you did as Noahlikesfish suggests and tried to grow it emergent.
I have Eleocharis parvula growing very well in my low tech tank, though it does get quite long (up to 6")- I'm sure with CO2 it would be bushier and shorter but it is growing and spreading.

Regarding the die-off, I can't remember if my hairgrass did that at first, but give it time to bounce back.

Good luck, I like your layout!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
E. pusilla is an aquatic plant as far as I know, it wants to be submerged! I have a feeling it would die if you did as Noahlikesfish suggests and tried to grow it emergent.
I have Eleocharis parvula growing very well in my low tech tank, though it does get quite long (up to 6")- I'm sure with CO2 it would be bushier and shorter but it is growing and spreading.

Regarding the die-off, I can't remember if my hairgrass did that at first, but give it time to bounce back.

Good luck, I like your layout!
Thanks for sharing, much appreciated. Yea i thought so too to be honest. Upon further reading I came across some posts suggesting that it could grow both emerged and submerged, and that upon transition from one to another that it can happen that it melts and then bounces back. I now trimmed it back a bit and am observing.. Fingers crossed I guess!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts