Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
We've (SWOAPE) found a place locally that can get us 600lbs of Pro's Choice Soilmaster Gray but that is a lot of something when you haven't seen the color! It is supposed to be the same as Turface Gray.

Maybe we (SWOAPE and GWAPA) could get together on an order of this stuff in the future if there is enough interest! Maybe between the two of our clubs we can use 600-1000lbs of it...

I could always drive my truck to MD, peferably on a weekend GWAPA is having a meeting, and pick some up or drop some off. A trip to Aquarium Center would definately be in order too! I'm sure Rob and maybe a couple other folks may be interested in making the trip also though it is an 8 hour drive from here to Aquarium Center. Just some "food for thought".

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Sounds like a go then! We just need to finalize the amount and get it ordered. Maybe GMOP and the GWAPA folks might be interested in trying a little bit!

I'm always a sucker for a road trip to Aquarium Center even if it is 8 hours away! Might be able to visit the Inner Harbor too while we're there. There's a nice brewery there and I'm always good for a micro-brew or two :drinkers:

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
I'd have to check my notes again to be 100% sure but it was either $10.50 or $10.75 for 50lbs of the Pro's Choice Soilmaster Select. Not too shabby for a planted Aquaria substrate. It would probably need to be mixed with some sand since I imagine it is pretty light (like Turface). Which, by the way, we may have found a source for the 3M Color Quartz black sand, about $20 for 50lbs! You may want to mention that in your post to the GWAPA Folks too!

I have heard that about AC but it is still 10x better than what we have around here! AC has more plant tanks than most of the stores around here have total tanks! You will have to let me know the names of the other places if we actually make a road trip your way!

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Tom,

I don't remember seeing the turface and if I did I have forgotten it. I was pretty tired most of the time you were here from staying up too late and getting up too early ;)

Bill,

That is exactly what we are looking for! Thank you very much!!! I think it is going to work perfectly.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Here is a pic of 3M's "T" Grade Black Color Quartz Sand. let me know if I need to provide a better pic!

It is a nice deep black color when wet, like Tahitian Moons Sand, but not near as fine. I think it is going to meet our needs very well. Great job on tracking this stuff down and ordering it Rob! It is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
PCS is an abbreviation for the actual product, Pro's Choice Soilmaster. The PCS Gray is very similar, if not identical, to Turface gray.

The parent company is Oil Dri. Here's a link to PCS website: http://www.proschoice1.com/ from there you can get the 800 number and call for a local distributor. Their Select series comes in Red, Green, Brown, and Charcoal.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
I set up a 75g using 50lbs of Soilmaster select Gray (technically it's Charcoal color) tonight. I will probably add 3M's Black Color Quartz sand on top of the Soilmaster tomorrow. Since ther isn't much info out there on Soilmaster, I wanted to add a link for those who want to see what it looks like in a tank.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/showthread.php?p=71304#post71304

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.