Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Why wouldn't you rinse Turface with tap water? It is a dusty mess out of the bag. I could maybe see it if you had crummy tap water and didn't want to introduce something to the Turface, but I can't imagine rinsing would result in enough of anything in the substrate to cause problems. If your worried about chlorine double or triple a dose of Prime and wait a day. We do water changes with dechlorinated tap water all the time. It is going to take kH out of the water for about a month or so at a pretty good rate. My 40G breeder was loosing ~1 dKH a day for the first week, then it slowed down for a few weeks, now it is stable.

I think it is better to look at the substrate as a buffer for ferts, the CEC of the material allows it to move the ions freely. I don't think you can "charge" it with enough nutrients to sustain long periods of growth. It will absorb nutrients when excess is present in the water column and it will be available to the plants during times when nutrient levels might drop below what we consider optimum levels.

If you really want long term nutrient delivery from a substrate, you need to look at some of the ADA stuff or a variation of MTS. The high CEC Turface substrate is just going to make water column dosing a little more stable in terms of the levels we see in the tank.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts