Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Where did you find Turface MVP grey? Since they have discontinued Soilmaster Select charcoal, there may be quite a few people in the area interested in the Turface MVP.

I setup all of my tanks with a light dusting of peat. Peat is quite safe as long as you don't add the type with fertilizers already mixed in. I get my peat from WalMart for about $3...I think it is the Schultz brand. The smallest bag they have should be enough for plenty of planted tanks. Here is a pictorial on how to set up the substrate, Setting up a Substrate in a Planted Tank. A "dusting" of peat can be hard to visualize without a picture ;) This is the amount of peat you would want to add since you plan on using CO2 in your tank.

Both Soilmaster and Turface products should be pretty good at adsorbing nutrients on their own so you probably will not not need the Zeolite. They both have a good CEC as well and should help in making the nutrients available to the plants. The leonardite probably isn't needed since you plan on using CO2. Peat is only needed for a short time during the initial setup phase until the bacteria become established in the substrate. Laterite is probably redundant as well when you consider that both Soilmaster and Turface products are pretty high in iron. These two products are very good substrates in my opinion and their only drawback is they can be a bit light in wieght and may not hold plants down as well as some other plant substrates. This is something I can live with considering the price of those two products. You probably saved about $250 by using Turface instead of the Eco Complete your friend recommended.

Since you are using high light and CO2, I assume you plan on adding fertilizers, KNO3, KH2PO4 and K2SO4. If you have these products on hand (if not, let me know and I can get you a starter amount of each until you order some) here is how I would set up the tank...

Add the "dusting" of peat to the tank then add about half of the turface...Do not rinse the Turface prior to putting it in the tank. If you do not add some of the turface to cover the peat, the peat will float when you add the mulm water and make a mess. Add your mulm water to the substrate to help get some bacteria loaded into the substrate. Once the mulm is added add the rest of the Turface to get the substrate depth you want.

Next, fill up a 5g bucket with water and mix in 1.5 tsp of KNO3 and 0.25tsp of KH2PO4 into the water in the bucket. You can add some K2SO4 if you have it but our water supply here in Dayton (and probably in KY) is already pretty high in K so it probably isn't needed. This is a highly concentrated amount of fertilizers considering the volume of the 5g bucket and should give you about 10ppm of NO3, 2ppm of PO4 and 7ppm of K based on the total water volume of your tank. Since Turface products are made to adsorb water, they will probably adsorb the nutrients in this water as well. You should be able to hear the Turface "hiss" when the water hits it and I would assume this is the Turface adsorbing the water. Adding the fertilizers to the initial fill water should give you some nutrients in the substrate until the bacteria can start converting the fish waste. If you rinse the Turface prior to adding it to the tank, it probably will not adsorb the KNO3 and KH2PO4.

Fill the tank very slowly using a plate or something similar to deflect the fill water. I did not rinse the Soilmaster (which is very dusty) prior to adding it to the tank in the link I gave you above. By filling the tank very slowly it should not be cloudy at all as you can see from my pictures.

I would wait to add any fish until you get your CO2 dialed in. I bumped my CO2 up a bit too high and lost quite a few fish the first time I set up a tank with CO2. Better safe than sorry ;)

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
I'm not really sure if adding the ferts adds anything to the substrate or not but I would imagine the Turface will adsorb some of the fertilizers. A lot of people rinse their Soilmaster/Turface before adding it and still get cloudy water. As you can see from that earlier link I gave you, I did not have cloudy water and I did not rinse it at all.

I don't think you will have too many ferts in the substrate and it will probably wear out pretty fast. I only tried it once and it seemed to work well but I add water column ferts on a daily basis as well. I will do it the next time I use Soilmaster or Turface in a tank and will hopefully be able to do more water tests to see how much, if any of the ferts actually get adsorbed by the substrate.

My reasoning behind adding the ferts to the substrate was to hopefully charge it so it would last until the bacteria began to break down the fish waste into usable substrate fertilizer. There really aren't any substrates, except maybe Aquasoil, that contain macros so it really shouldn't be an issue with the HC. I think making sure you have enough light and CO2 will be more of an issue than the substrate ;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts