Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have very mixed feelings about what has been posted. If you want to "charge" the substrate, you should ABSOLUTELY rinse the Turface. Why wouldn't you? As long as you do not use tap water, I don't see the problem with it. I am not trying to argue, in fact if there is a solid reason not to rinse the Turface with purified water, I would like to know for my own sake.

Personally, I would prefer to rinse it before putting it in my tank, but I am a bit OCD about what I put in my tanks. The most important thing to keep in mind here is the Cation Exchange Capacity, (or CEC), of Turface MVP. This is why it is so important HOW you rinse it. You must understand, Turface MVP has a CEC of about 33-35 meq/100g, (fwiw, Zeolite can have a CEC of up to 170 meq/100g if not more, since there are ovfer 200 types of Zeolite), therefore it is quite absorptive. This is why I said not to rinse it in tap water. However, if you use RO/DI water, this is how I would do it, (I'm sure if you search the forums or use google you will find plenty of more comprehensive guides on how to do this), I would get two tubs, and use one of them to rinse the Turface to get rid of any unwanted dust particles. Then, in the second tub, I would mix in your dry ferts with your purified water, allow them to dissolve, and then dunk the Turface in this overnight, or at least for a few hours, stirring occasionally. This will ensure that the Turface absorbs as much of the ferts in the water as possible, thus "charging" the substrate. I would then remove the Turface, (no need to waste the water!) and place it in your tank. Due to its CEC, it should now be "charged" with whatever fertilizers you have chosen. The plants will then use the nutrients as needed, and the Turface will slowly release them. Sorry I'm a little incoherent, it's six a.m. here, but this is my personal opinion. Like I said, I'm sure there are plenty more comprehensive guides out there if you are willing to take the time to read up.

Also, I'd think twice about using peat. Leonardite is great though, but I need some sleep, so if you want to learn more, do a google search and read up.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts