Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I hope I haven't chimed in too late. In my grad research in aquatic substrates I found that a 50/50 mix of Turface and cheap top soil works the best. Make sure to sieve any large bits out of the soil so all that's left are the fine particles; mix everything up and douse it with water with a heavy slug of GH booster in it for an initial dose of Ca, Mg, and K. Let the stuff sit in a container for a week then turn it over/mix it well and douse it with another hit of water+GH booster. Let it sit for a few days, drain it, spread it out to dry overnight then put it in your tank, cap with some coarse sand or a similar dense material and voila, you're ready to go.

My very first high tech tank, 14 years ago, had a substrate of Turface and play sand. I'd tried 100% Turface to start but it was too light. Adding sand to it helped keep it down and kept the plants from being uprooted by the filter. You may want to look into some cheap sand. 2mm average grain size "coarse sand" in geotech terms quartz sand from a water well supply company is perfect.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts