Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Stupid question but are you sure your CO2 levels are good all through the photo. period? IMLE, it seems everything from the lack of color to the algae problems points to bad CO2 levels. With that much wood, and possibly your substrate, you very well might be buffering your water enough to give you false CO2 readings. Can you try to bring up you levels to where you read 40-50ppm. Also, try Flourish Excel. IT should definately help with your algae issues and it seems to help the plants out a good bit also. Maybe substrate tabs are in order, something with high Fe. I wonder if you are loosing alot of your Fe due to all the light/PO4. My high light 10 also has troubles getting lots of color but my mid/lower light tanks have no trouble, even with high nitrates.......

Just a few observations, don't know if they will help or not.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
True, but look how hard hes pushing the tank. I can get reds even with higher NO3 levels, sometimes. My Bylxa is red with only 36wattsPC, 8ml Flourish and no extra Fe. 30-40ppm NO3 weekly and I push the CO2 into the 40's early in the light cycle, or did until I added the controller, now it stays constant in the mid to upper 30's

Go get pressurized, hold off on the hood if you need to do it, and throw a little Excel in for good measure. ALso, one thing I have noticed, maybe its just me, but my tanks needs to be broken in real good before I start getting the nice colors from my plants. The way you are battling algae, maybe your tank is still a little "green". Wonder if the ager thing has anything to do with DOCs or possibly nutrient precipition/ion binding in the substrate....hummmmm?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts