Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I am unsure if this is the right section for this thread.
I am wondering what specific types of wood are suitable for using in my tank. Collected native wood, not store bought. Is there a thread already that adresses this? I looked but could'nt find any exact info. on the subject.

I recently went camping and found a nice cedar stump that would look awesome in the tank, but am a bit reluctant to use it from what I have seen posted on cedar. I live in Washington state and have access to a myriad of different types of wood. But I have searched the net for a "list" of acceptable native U.S. species. I think it would be a great reference to compile a concise list of wood people have used and the results.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I think any wood is difficult. I tried a small piece of oak once that seemed suitable from what I read on the net and even with cooking and soaking, it rotted. A ten gallon NPT that had wood chunks in the soil held shrimp that wouldn't reproduce any obvious reason. I moved the shrimp and had fry right after. D Walstad believes she had some young fish losses from the allelochmicals (inhibiting biomolecules) wood bits gave off in her tank. I definitely wouldn't try cedar. It's volatile. It's known to repel bugs in closets and trunks. Any pine/evergreen for the same reason. I believe they would be bad for your animals in the tank. Having said all of that, I am going to try wood again. I bought a smallish piece at a LFS. It's rated for aquariums. And it's been soaking for 6+ weeks. I hope it'll be ok in a larger tank. I want to keep an Ancistrus sp. eventually, and they need the cellulose. My Oto. catfish will like it, too. He's been getting by on Anubias. I'll put it on the glass bottom before I add soil and keep an eye on it. If there are problems, I'll have to take it out. This may not have been what you were looking for, but I hope it helps. Good Luck.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply... yeah i was skeptical about the cedar. I believe that most conifers are out, although I have seen posts that indicate people have used conifers. http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...ants-discussions/29576-hemlock-driftwood.html . i guess hardwoods are ok though. but what species people have had personal experience with would be helpful. There are a lot of types of wood that are considered "hardwood". By definition any deciduous tree (having leaves instead of needles) is considered hardwood. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...Hardwood&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title .

So it looks like a good local wood for me would be maple. Has anyone had luck with it?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was planning a trip next week to go look for some branches for my tank and was wondering if anyone was up for the trip. I am located in N. Seattle and was planning on either going up stevens pass area to the index river or else up mountain loop outside of granite falls. Any takers?
I am still unsure as to what species of trees are best for my tank. I think i am going to be on the lookout for some nice maple snags that have exposed rootballs. Thanks for any info....

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
I've used collected wood that was already well weathered in my tanks. Some of it was washed onto shore during winter floods and other pieces were deadfall. I really can't tell what type of trees my pieces came from.

Before I used them scrubbed off any loose material and then soaked them for 6+ weeks to sink them and make sure they weren't going to start rotting. So far I haven't had any problems with what I've collected.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.