Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i'm setting up a 65 or 70 Gallon (not sure which, dimensions are 48x18x18) planted shrimp tank.

I currently have:

a 48" Solar t5 light unit (http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/product_info.php?cPath=71_136&products_id=1423).
3M ColourQuartz, black T grade (http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/ColorQuartz/HomePage/Products/Crystals/)

Now, my plan is to grow a glosso mat, with some hairgrass in a iwagumi style set-up.

My question is this: Do I need fertilizer placed under the colourquartz (inert) in order to achieve what I want?
What types of fertilizer is suggested for under the substrate? Where can I find it?

Thanks.

·
Banned
732 Posts
I’m not sure about the under substrate fertilization; however, I would not use the actinic lights unless you a planning a reef aquarium. If you can, substitute 2 x 6700K lamps for the actinics.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Now, my plan is to grow a glosso mat, with some hairgrass in a iwagumi style set-up.

My question is this: Do I need fertilizer placed under the colourquartz (inert) in order to achieve what I want?
What types of fertilizer is suggested for under the substrate? Where can I find it?
No, you do not need substrate ferts for those plants, water column fertilizing will be fine. You will, however, need CO2 for them to thrive. And, definitely do lose the actinics.

BTW, I would not start out the tank with those plants. Plant lots of fast growing stems, then once tank stabilizes, make your desired arrangements with the plants you want.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replys.

I have already discussed with them about the swap out of the actinics, which they were more then willing to do.
I have c02 (forgot to mention).

Out of curiosity, when would you need fertilizer under the gravel? The main reason I asked was because the Colourquartz won't be providing much nutrients.

·
Registered
298 Posts
You should dose the water column, not under the substrate. I prefer EI for water column dosing, but there are some who prefer the PPS route. Look at this forum at the difference and pros/cons of both systems. If you're starting new you could also look into AaronT's mineralized soil article in the library.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Out of curiosity, when would you need fertilizer under the gravel? The main reason I asked was because the Colourquartz won't be providing much nutrients.
There are certain plants which typically are heavy root feeders and it's beneficial to put some root ferts underneath for them, ie, swords and some Crypts. But all plants take up nutrients via the water column. Glosso and hairgrass are not heavy root feeders. What I definitely would suggest is to make sure the colorquartz stuff you'll be using is fine enough to hold down the small roots of the glosso and planting of the hair grass. You'll certainly have a job on your hands. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts