Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been using Excel as a carbon source in my 29 gallon planted tank. Part of the reason I have been using it is to help deal with Thread Algae which I have come to understand is in part due to fluctuating CO2 levels. My problem though is understanding the dising of the excel. I have tried the exact directions of both a large dose followed by every other day and a large dose followed by every day dosing. I have also tried double dosing the excel everyday.

As for ferts I currently keep those every limited. I use Dry KNO3, A Trace mix, and Fleet. I tend to watch the plants and change my dosing when I see deficinecies. Normally this is small pin holes in older leaves, so I up the KNO3 and follow suite with the other ferts to keep the ratios realatively intact. Also I have 96 watts of light, though it is spiral compacts which i know are less than efficient so the actual amount I am sure is much less.

I remove the thread algae often using a toothbrush and it tends to come back fairly quickly.

My excel dosing at the moment is erratic I guess due to my not understanding which way to dose it for best results. I do not mind sticking to something and am normally good at that but I just hope that someone can help start me on the right track.

CO2 gas isn't really an option for me due to the setup of my tank.

My fish stock is white cloud minnows, male platies, a bristlenose pleco and cory cats. The tank is moderatley stocked, by no means overstocked. The plant mass is moderate.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are 24 watt daylight flourescent bulbs. There is 4 for a total of 96 watts. But again it is far less effiecient than a standard straight tube. They are on for 8-9 hours a day (the exact time escapes me at the moment).

I had a Fluval 304 and a Aquaclear 30 on the tank up until very recently when the Fluvavl broke. I have it currently replaced with a Whisper 5-15 which is going to be upgraded to an Aquaclear 50 this weekend. So 2 HOB filters at each end of the tank. Plenty of flow. The Fluval near the end of its life was often getting plugged easily which would have meant less flow in the tank. Hopefully the AC 50 will be a good boost to the current.

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
I think your lights are O.K. Many times this type of algae starts and gets a hold due to the startup of the tank because there is too much organic content in the tank fo the young biofilter to deal with. High Light just drives the algae that much more since the plants having really started going with. Excel in my opinion is not a solution and is dangerous in high doses to certain fauna and plants. Do you keep up with 50% wc weekly? These are the things I would do for a few weeks and see if it helps:

Reduce light to 7hrs.
Add purgien to the filter media
Dose regular amounts of excel daily
Whatever your feeding your fish, cut in half. You shoud only feed your fish once a day, or even 5 - 6 times per week.

Basically algae doesn't like clean water. Reduce the amount of organics available an reduce light so the plants have just enough and your algae problems will lessen.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I will up the water changes. They were probably closer to 30% a week. I already feed sparingly, 5-6 times a week. I will try dropping the light down a bit more.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I understand that co2 is not an option due to the tank setup but your lights may not be that forgiving . Try cutting you lighting down by a bulb.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts