Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, almost there. The 200 litres tank was set up in late January, and now after almost three months the pains and frustrations the results are starting to show. When I say "pains and frustration" I'm referring to green algae invasion, severe chronical CO2 deficiency, a minor flood caused by a broken filter (floor's fine, thank God!!! :phew:), leaf chlorosis, etc. etc. Anyway, the results are as follows:

the beginning:

two weeks ago:

last week:

The main difference now and two weeks ago is that the stargrass was banned and replaced by java fern. Reson? The darend thing grew too fast which required too much diving and cutting and fiddeling. As you can guess this causes me no great pleasure. At the same time, in 75 l tank I had a java fern growing and literally suffocating the rest of the plants, so... I decided to be practical.

The pics attached are not yet the final stage. I'm still trying to make the aromatica grow bushier in the right back corner as well as Alternanthera growing in front of it. So, any comments are more than welcome!

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
Looking good. I like how you've changed it, the fern gives it a diagonal movement which draws my eye to the lily at the left of it It does need to be a bit fuller at the top left, so I hope you can get those plants to grow.

·
Registered
426 Posts
to tell you the truth, i like the 1st and the 2nd picture. the 1st featured a lot of opened space and potential if it grows out. the 2nd in another hand is very balanced with a lot of different types of leave shapes and sizes.

the java fern in the 3rd is a little abrupt. maybe it needs a lil more time to grow into a more natural form to blend into the surrounding of the tank. the midground is kinda lost when u put in the java fern. maybe thats what you need. a midground. hope you take my comments well. i am sure the final pictures are all you need to justify yourself.

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
I can understand about wanting to make things easier, truth be told, however, I think it looks much better with the stargrass. That picture has a "Wow" effect!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@ cs_gardener: yes, Ludwigia on the lest needs some pruning, and I'll do that as soon as the stems get just a bit more stronger. Also, R. rotundifolia in front of if was cut just a day before taking this pic, so this plant also needs to fill it's space.

@ stepheus: you are absolutely right: as I said, java fern was taken from a 75 litres tank which became too small for this plant. So, if looked at closely one could see that the plant shows a cube-like shape, something like square shaped watermelons in Japan. :))) In the midground I planted some brown leafed Cryptocorynes - they are visible on the second picture. It will take some time for them to grow and become more visible, I hope.

@ Nevermore: well... this Microsorium and I go a long way and I just couldn't disregard it's need for space. Also, stargrass REALLY grows too fast and I don't have the time to maintain it in presentable condition. Moreover it used to spread across the surface shading the rest of the plants, so a compromise had to be found. Stargrass now (one part of it) grows in 75 litres.

Thank you all for the imput. stepheus, all comments are welcome - two heads are always smarter than one! ;)

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
I could definitely relate to the stargrass. I used to have it as a dominate plant in my scape and it's just way to much maintenance. It would literally grow a few inches overnite.

All the scapes are very nice, actually I like the scape with the fern, I think the stargrass is too dominate in the first pic, especially up high. I like it low in the midground, but that get's back to the maintenance think. I think the fern should be reduced and get that aromatica going or maybe even Rotala Rotundila.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm no expert, but after looking at this thread for a while I think I prefer the version below. It's more interesting to look at in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Mr. Tom--

I really like your current version!! My only suggestion is that you add a little more light, if possible, in order to get the glosso to creep.....it's going vertical. I would think one more light would create a nice carpet for you :D

Otherwise, it is really pretty!! Contrary to what other people are saying (which is TOTALLY fine!!), I like this current version a bit better. The stargrass, though nice and healthy looking, was a bit too vertical and square looking for me. You have some very nice colors in your tank, and I think when the background plants grow a bit, it will lessen the effect of the java fern on the right, which currently is slightly overwhelming everything else.

The tank is clean and the plants are healthy, and I like your mollies! Could you provide us with some more specs? And where is Zagreb? :) I'm just another "stupid American" when it comes to geography! LOL!

·
Registered
926 Posts
Current version rocks. I also liked image 2 w/ stargrass, but you're right - it was taking over. Maybe you could use it to fill in left rear until other stuff grows ina bit more. I also agree that either a bit more light up front or maybe just repositioning existing fixture foreward a bit would help w/ both the Gs growth pattern and adding depth by keeping more shady areas to the rear.

Very nice work!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm no expert, but after looking at this thread for a while I think I prefer the version below. It's more interesting to look at in my opinion.

I agree, it is startling, mysterious, and the flow is beautiful. The center formation almost looks like a mountain.

The other one seems more pedestrian to me. My first post ever on auaticplantcentral and I hope I am allowed to say that (pedestrian).

dowdeva

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, and looking at it even further, I love the way the stargrass was 'framed' by the darker but lower,reddish plants on the left, right and underneath the stargrass. Can't figure out what that plant is under the stargrass though.

Also, it is saved from too much uniformity in the peaking of the stargrass as the central shape by the long, stringy bright green plant green plant just on the right which is relatively the same size, but more delicate. Don't know what that is either. I am new to aquascaping but I do have 20 years experience studying art.

Beautiful, and has a more 'Western' feel than the Amano copycats.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts