Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently found this plant in a local lake in southern part of Ontario, Canada. It is very pretty, but I don't know what it is and would like to.
I have attached a photo of it, hope someone can identify it for me :)

Thanks,
---Characin Gal---

Attachments

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
It looks like some kind of Potamogeton. I can't understand why these beautiful plants are not more popular in aquascaping.

--Nikolay

·
Registered
852 Posts
Looks like Potamogeton crispus to me.

·
Registered
459 Posts
niko said:
It looks like some kind of Potamogeton. I can't understand why these beautiful plants are not more popular in aquascaping.

--Nikolay
It might be because they don't 'trim' well. I've noticed that once a stem is trimmed it stops growing. The top will root if planted, and the runner formed under the substrate will keep going, but the trimmed stem just sits for a while then dies.

·
Registered
852 Posts
That must depend on the species.

I have P. wrightii, P. perfoliatus and P. maackianus, and though trimmed stems do take a while to form lateral shoots, it doesn't seem to me that it takes any longer than other species from other genera.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Characin Gal,
Yes, I have wild P. nodosus and now that they are established I trim them back about 6 inches per week. I trim it just above a node where there is a leaf. Of course if I want more plants I clip the bottom stem off of the clipping up to the node and then plant the node in the substrate.

So get a half dozen stems and plant them in your tank!

Steve Pituch

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all,
The 'Potamogeton crispus' is in my aquarium now. I looked the name up on Google.com and it looks identical to mine.
Anyway, it seems to be doing well. Also have found out that I have one called Potamogeton lucens too. Just plain green but still very pretty.

·
Registered
852 Posts
P. lucens is actually P. illinoensis. It's a pretty plant :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts