Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this fish in my tank yesterday, but the only fish I've put in there are black neons which this is not. My only theory is that it hitch-hiked as an egg or fry on the plants I ordered for the tank.

Here is the best picture I could get (it hides well and is very small), and a quick description.

It's about a half inch long with a very narrow, torpedo shaped body. Light brown on top with a black stripe running from its mouth, through the eye, all the way to its tail. Looks to be white or silver on the underside. The tail and dorsal fins are both rounded (no points). The mouth appears to be strait ahead or slightly upturned.

Please help me ID this fish. Thanks.
JM

·
Registered
19 Posts
Flying Fox?

·
Registered
195 Posts
It's a juvie bluefin killifish, Lucania goodei. They are common stragglers with FL farm-raised fauna such as black neons, common neons and ghost shrimp. If it's a male, it will look like the fish in my avatar. It might not take to flake food very easily, but if it does, and it survives, watch the dorsal and anal fins over the next few weeks to see if they start to take on a blue coloration. It's also possible it came in as an egg on some of your plants. That is a common way of accidental introduction as well.

I've tried to attach some photos, but couldn't get it to work. Hmmmmm

·
Registered
149 Posts
Wait about 5-6 more weeks, by that time it will have developed it's vocal chords if it truly is a talking fish. It's very common for them to never talk if they don't like their habitat. I flushed mine down the toilet because of the profanity it was using. lol:rolleyes:

Honsetly I don't know what it is...let's wait and see.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Nelumbo74. That looks exactly like the fish in my tank. I guess I'll have to wait for it to get a little bigger before I know if it's a male or female. I've been feeding my black neons frozen blood worms twice a week. I'll try and make sure my new little friend gets some too.

Mystery solved!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Glad I could help! Where are you located? If you can get a few more from your local fish store, I think you'd be very pleased with them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts