Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This tank is a Fluval Edge 6 Gallon with 18Watts of lighting (overkill I know), I have sufficient nutrients and CO2 injected @1BPS. The plants in the tank were doing fine until recently. I don't know if dosing PPS:pro liquid ferts did anything, or if its a parasite, but its killing all of my rhizome plants. I tried cutting off the the rhizomes which had a soft, cloudy white bubble-like substance but the disease spread to all rhizomes. Please help. How do I make this tank safe? More importantly, how do I alleviate this problem? I've tried looking to see what this disease is but no clue. Its definitely not a deficiency.

Here are a few pictures:

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you don't have overly delicate life forms, like snails or shrimp, a dose of an aldehyde product, or peroxide, might clear it up.

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Looks like it might be anubias disease. I just recently posted on this in someone else's thread so I'll just copy/paste my advice. Welcome to APC!

Zapins said:
This is not a deficiency. It is almost certainly anubias disease which rots the rhizome and the base of the stems, then later attacks leaf tissue. It seems to spread by contact with infected parts of the plants. It is potentially caused by a slow moving plant eating worm (though this needs to be verified by microscopy). There are no known cures, but aggressive pruning of diseased areas can save plants if you catch it early. Be sure to clean the blade between each cut or you will infect healthy tissue and cut into the "healthy" areas around the infected parts or the disease is likely to keep spreading.

The only other ways anubias are damaged like this where the stem becomes mushy is by improper shipping (wet conditions for too long, or when temperature is too high or low during shipping, this promotes opportunistic fungal attacks).
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=600210

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
If you don't have overly delicate life forms, like snails or shrimp, a dose of an aldehyde product, or peroxide, might clear it up.
Thanks for the advice, where can I get that? Should I re-cycle my tank? The tank is currently empty now and I only have plants (my betta died recently).

Looks like it might be anubias disease. I just recently posted on this in someone else's thread so I'll just copy/paste my advice. Welcome to APC!
Thanks for the advice, unfortunately I never cleaned the blade, that is probably why it spread. Would you recommend a water change when you see that disease appear? I wonder how it got into my tank... All the plants were doing fine. Then... out of no where. Appreciate the welcoming by the way.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. What a pain! I had this once on a Langenandra. I did wind up loosing it. I then bought others and they grew just fine. For my case a new plant from a different source solved the problem with no sterilization.

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
A water change won't help or hurt. If it is anubias disease it is spread by contact. The disease cannot survive very long without a plant.

Hard to say how it got into the tank, how old are the anubias? When did you get them?

Perhaps it was there all along and took a while to spread to a point where you noticed it?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Looks like they're all in the substrate, am I right? In that case it might just be that they're rotting...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry to hear about this. What a pain! I had this once on a Langenandra. I did wind up loosing it. I then bought others and they grew just fine. For my case a new plant from a different source solved the problem with no sterilization.
- Yeah tell me about it, that may be my problem. I introduced some new Coffeefolia to the tank, but they were doing well and did not contract the disease first. My Anubias Barteri did.

A water change won't help or hurt. If it is anubias disease it is spread by contact. The disease cannot survive very long without a plant.

Hard to say how it got into the tank, how old are the anubias? When did you get them?

Perhaps it was there all along and took a while to spread to a point where you noticed it?
- Ah, thanks for that info. My Anubias Barteri is probably almost a yr old before I threw it away a few weeks ago because it decomposed. I've been struggling a little with algae problems a little too, but I think what really killed my plants was after a few weeks with the new Coffeefolia, but it can't be because they didn't rot first! Sadly, I didn't think about cleaning the scissors.

Im guessing the disease spread through the water column. By then it was too late. Now I only have one coffeefolia still alive and a sm. piece of barteri.

Looks like they're all in the substrate, am I right? In that case it might just be that they're rotting...
- Yeah but the rhizomes are not covered, I have them elevated about an inch above the substrate (seachem florite blk). I was thinking of adding my recently cleansed rocks, but then... this happened.

Furthermore, I plan to start a new 32 gallon project but I want to avoid having another epidemic like this. I thought Anubias plants were easy to grow... lol. I'm ashamed to say Ive probably spent a few hundred dollars on plant mistakes in the past. (Insuffiecient lighting) etc. Yet, I don't know what can be the culprit. My Ruffle sword and floating frogbit are growing well. The wisteria on the other hand is a slow, slow grower. Is that weird? Something is wrong with my tank yes?!

Appreciate all of you guys' help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
**Update: So I ended up throwing away all the substrate that was in there. I didn't want to allow another random problem. I put ADA amazonia soil in my tank.

Oh and a bump for the previous posters to reply.

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Pity about the plants. I hope that any replacements don't have the same issue.

I'm not sure that throwing out the substrate was necessary since the disease seems contact only spread but I suppose being safe isn't a bad idea. Do you plan on getting more anubias in the future?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry to hear about the plants I had the same problem I lost two anubias not to long ago tried to quarantine them and removed all the bad parts no luck.
At least my other anubias are ok thats the good thing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts