Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have an unknown illness that is very quick acting within my tank. 90g El Natural tank.

Ammonia/nitrites: 0. nitrates <5

It started with the neon/cardinal tetras. When I first noticed the loss I had 4 on the filter dead. And started really paying attention to all the fish. Everyone was eating acting normal. Couple hours later another neon, woke up the next morning to a neon and emperor tetra dead... No visible symptoms. Fish are visibly normal and healthy looking and within 12 hours are dead.

I did notice the remaining neons fighting with each other, like really going at, at some points. Seemed like one was getting very territorial. I thought it might be very stressed since the school went from 10 to 4.

Put a Jun UV submersible filter in the tank 3 days ago.

Lost another 2 neon today. One of the emperor tetras is now being hyper territorial of the filter return area. I don't know if the territorial thing is related.

The early signs I'm seeing in the neons is slight twitching. Late signs are seizure like spasms. See attached video.

I have a neon rainbow now that is actually showing visible signs of illness, maybe columnaris? Could also be a secondary infection. The video link of the neon rainbow is present. I also have another neon rainbow gasping pretty hard that wasn't gasping at the start of writing this up.

I also am attaching photos from previous (2 months ago) outbreaks of what I thought was columnaris. Only fish I lost during those outbreaks were dwarf neon rainbows and my Betta sorority. I stopped those outbreaks by quarantining any fish with symptoms as soon as the symptoms appeared.

The rest of the tank is pretty normal, saw the rainbows, emperor tetras, and emerald rasboras all mate in the tank today, so the rest of the tank doesn't seem stressed out.

I highly doubt this is it, but I did use fishing sinkers to attached to anubias to hold it in place in the hardscape while it attaches itself. Been about a month in there. I don't know if they are lead or not, I know most fishing sinkers these days aren't lead based.

Here are the videos of the last neon tetra during the end, and the rainbow with the visible symptoms. (I had just opened the lid to the tank in the neon video so they all followed me around thinking I was about to feed them)

Anyone have any thoughts?

Marine biology Natural material Fish Quill Electric blue

Fin Underwater Fish Marine biology Tail

Water Plant Organism Fish Fin

· Registered
3,370 Posts
Likely columnaris if it kills that fast and the fuzzy skin.
You can try to save them by putting them in a smaller separate tank (unheated). Lower temps slow down the bacteria. Treat with 3 rounds Kanaplex and hope for the best.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Likely columnaris if it kills that fast and the fuzzy skin.
You can try to save them by putting them in a smaller separate tank (unheated). Lower temps slow down the bacteria. Treat with 3 rounds Kanaplex and hope for the best.
The previous waves of infections on the dwarf neon rainbows had a fuzz to it in the later stages. None of the neons, cardinal, emperor or threadfin had any visible signs.

This new visible sign on the rainbow is the first. Could this be a secondary infection on the dwarf rainbows? Does columnaris kill without any visible signs?

Can columnaris persist in the tank for multiple months without killing anything, then go on a killing rampage?

· Registered
3,370 Posts
Columnaris is mainly an internal infection. Fungus is a secondary infection. You'll have to run a UV sterilizer to control their number. I'm not sure if you can 100% wipe them out. Their numbers can come back. They live in organic matter like mulm and surface scum. Remove them as much as you can regularly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts