Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, APC has again outdone itself and kudos to all who made the Plant Finder possible. Its amazing how much data (and photos) have been put together!

Anyways, I took photos of my unknown plants for your database. If anyone can identify these, it would be much appreciated. Incidentally, the photos are of low resolution. If these pics are worthy of the Plant Finder, I can send the better quality pics.

Just a warning, it is possible that these may not be aquatic plants, so any help identifying these would be welcome.

[edited: Here are the pics :lol: ]

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
It looks like Alternanthera bettzickiana. sometimes sold as "water hedge". It is strictly terrestrial, and does not belong underwater.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the expert advise.

Looks like some plants are getting kicked out of the aquarium.

Are you guys including non-aquatic plants in your Plant Finder to warn the public about which plants NOT to buy?

Also, my LFS is selling a plant called "elephant ears". Can't seem to find any reference in an aquaplant website. Anyone know if this is an aquatic plant?

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Elephant ears is an aroid marsh plant that grows at the edges of streams and rivers. There are several species. They get quite large, up to four feet tall. I am not sure, but I think they are not native and are considered a threat to native plants. They are definitely not for the aquarium.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I guess the newbie aquaplanter needs to know what he/she wants to buy (and knowing what it looks like) before going to the LFS.

Thanks for all the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts