Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/attachment.php?attachmentid=8334&stc=1&d=1235504653

So here's the scoop. I've got a 29 gallon moderately planted tank. I'm utilizing approx 3.5" of Eco-complete for the substrate. I dose Seachem per there download document, minus the excel. I pump in CO2 via a new DIY reactor and DIY spraybar. I've got a lot of plants I don't remember the names of (yah yah yah, I'm bad ). And Lastly, I'm running a 2x 65w coralite (9 hours with a 3 hour burst in the middle). As for the water, it is now RO, because I've gotten a new well that just wasn't working for the plants. My Kh is 8.0 and the ph is currently hovering around 6.2-6.4 and my nitrates are in a good range. The tank is 2.5 years old and is looking really healthy after a 6 month period of things not being so hot. Additionally, I've got great growth on several plants and minimal on others.

So here's where I need some help. I slowly turned up the CO2 until my plants began to pearl. That was at about 6.4 or so. All the fish (Tetras, ottos, green neons, and one German ram) appear to be handling things except for my rummy noses that are currently seeking refuge at the bottom of the tank in the shade, I may have even lost a few. I know that according to a couple of charts if my kh is 8 and my ph is 6.4, my co2 should theoretically be at 96ppm. What's one to do? I have to say, I don't think I quite have the co2 chemistry thing down.

Do I raise the ph in the hopes that my rummies rejoin the community even if it means the plants don't pearl?

Am I pumping in too much co2?

Am I missing something here? ](*,)

Please fire away. I need help!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Hi greenman,

Why is your CO2 so high? Plants do very well with a PPM of 15, a level of 30 PPM is considered safe, over 60 PPM is considered "dangerous". I usually try for somewhere between 15 - 30 PPM in my tanks. Plants don't have to be "pearling" to be growing well. In one of my tanks some (but not all) of the plants "pearl", in another tank very seldom do the plants "pearl". The plants grow equally well in both tanks, and the fish breed so they can't be too stressed!

I would back down the CO2 to a safer level and see if your rummynose behave more naturally. Adding an airstone and increasing water agitation will drop your level quicker. Here is a thread that might be helpful: http://www.hallman.org/plant/booth1.html Hope this helps!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts