Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Work in progress|conglomeration of 5 nano tanks. 10g|5g|4.5g|3.5g|1.5g Need some help learning! (:
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Will some zeolite / carbon mix fix it? It reduces ammonia, water impurities and chloramine. Or should I add my babies directly into the tank and that could clear it up? Maybe they will eat the bacteria? I sniffed and the water has no smell. It was an aquarium that was outside gathering mosquito larva for my Gourami. Then I just added the salt mix right into it which mixed the sand bed lifting the bacterium I suppose. But do I need to do anything? Will it kill my shrimp? I have two air stones going to prevent bacteria choking out the water.

As of right now they are still SPINNING in their little clear salt-water-bottle mixing with their egg casings. Lol. I checked and some cute spinny babies have hatched! They will be dumped out of their nursery in 48 hours once maximum baby hatch party has achieved.

I just don't know if these newborns will be okay...

·
Registered
Work in progress|conglomeration of 5 nano tanks. 10g|5g|4.5g|3.5g|1.5g Need some help learning! (:
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could be something in the salt mix?
Try adding a few of the BBS in to see how they react.
Actually a few spilled! They are so funny! I took the gravel out from their tank because apparently they get stuck in the cracks and die.

... Not surprising since they only have a few basal ganglia instead of a brain! 😂

My "salt mix" was from my kitchen cabinet, iodine free sea salt. Lets hope it (the bacteria) wasn't in the salt mix!! Gross!!

I will try some of my Zeolite - carbon mix and hang that in the water colum and if not I can mix more salt water and do a tiny water change.

! It actually seems to be clearing up on its own (like always) since I added a bubbler to move the water around and from keeping still, stagnant and 'devoid' of oxygen.

But I will definitely keep in touch! I have a few other posts I need to upload too. Keep an eye out!

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
OOOh, yeah. Don't use people's salt. They add anti-caking powder (corn starch?) to the salt. Aquarium rock salt is fine. Add a little baking soda too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OOOh, yeah. Don't use people's salt. They add anti-caking powder (corn starch?) to the salt. Aquarium rock salt is fine. Add a little baking soda too.
Sadly I don't have any of that on hand, and already mixed the tank with sea salt.... i did a ton of research online saying its okay to use human sea salt. :) brine shrimp like eating small particulates out of the water too. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts