Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a bag of this as I intended to set up a Saltwater tank but started a planted tank instead. I was wondering if I could use some in my planted tank to increase the calcium in the water as I have soft water and my snails are showing signs of lack of calcium for their shells. I dont want it to mess with the water to much as I have some rams in the tank and know they like somewhat soft water. If I cant use this what are some other things safe to use to increase calcium in water. thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
Aragonite will add carbonates to the tank, as well as calcium, so it will gradually raise the KH until it is too high for the fish to do well. If you are willing to do weekly 50+% water changes you can control the rise in KH and the aragonite would be ok.

Seachem Equilibrium is one way to raise the GH, which is calcium and magnesium. Another way is to dose Calcium chloride and Magnesium sulfate (Epsom salts). Neither of those will raise the KH.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So can I get the epson salts at a local store or is it better to get them separate from a place like green leaf. thanks for the help Hoppy

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
Epsom salts from the corner grocery store are as good as anything you get from an online fertilizer store, but I found the corner store charged quite a bit more. Since I was ordering other fertilizers I just ordered the MgSO4 too.

·
Registered
298 Posts
epsom salts won't help the snails out though. I never had a problem when I added aragonite to my tank. I'd usually sprinkle some into the water with every water change and sometimes I'd go months without changing the water (I'm bad). Eventually I switched to using calcium chloride though.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So can I order calcium sulfate and or nitrate from Green leaf to give me the desired effect I am looking for or do I have to find calcium chloride. Thanks for helping me understand this

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
Calcium sulfate would work fine, except for being slower to dissolve. The advantage of it is that plants use some sulfur, where the chlorine in the calcium chloride would just be along for the ride.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts