Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a trick to these? Last night, I did a major prune/replanting of a bunch of stems of rotalas, bacopas and red temples. I tried to use some forceps I got. It became an exercise in frustration! I would push the stem into the gravel, but when I removed the forceps from the gravel, up would come the stem. I gave up and did it by hand.

I see all these densely planted tanks from aga, and wonder how in the world they were able to plant so densely, you can't even get your hanb into the gravel on those tanks without tearing up the immediate area.

So what's the trick?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Okay heres how I do it. I use forceps also. Grab the stem and stick it in the gravel as far as you can, then open the forceps and shake and twist and jiggle a bit as you slowly remove them. Usually works very well. On tough stems it make take two hands, one to work the forceps and one to hold the plant in place.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hold the stem firmly at the tip of the forceps. Stick it far into the substrate and lower the forceps to 45deg and pull out real gently. kick some gravel back to cover up any disturbed substrate.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have some needle-point stainless steel tweezers that work quite well. They're perfectly flat & smooth, with a very narrow tip. Makes inserting any plant I have quite easy & nothing ever comes back out a I pull otu the tweezers.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I understand your frustration Bert. I've tried and tried to use tools (even for non-fish stuff), but if I can use my hands or fingers it's always easier for me..... Nothing like the tools you were born with... :wink:

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chinops,

That's a very nice site you have there with your diy home project. (Un sitio muy interesante de lo que hiciste en la casa). It's a great idea to make your bubble counter and reactor from the iv set-up, but here in the states, the general population doesn't have access to that sort of stuff. (Como fabricastes el reactor y bubble counter es muy buena idea, pero aqui en los EU, solamente los medicos tienen acceso a ese tipo de equipaje).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts