Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of purchasing a UV sterilizer for my 55gal tank to use in conjunction with an eheim 2217. Has anyone had experience using the sterilizer found in this link? I'd rather not purchase an expensive (>$60) sterilizer knowing that I won't need to run it all the time. Any suggestions on which sterilizers are good (irregardless of price), I can always try to find it on ebay for less than retail? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shouldn't the flow rate of the filter or pump you are attaching to the UV be in the same range or below so that the water can be in contact with the UV rays longer?

·
Super Moderator
5,865 Posts
Most UV sterilizers recommend a faster flow rate for dealing with green water algae and other algaes and a slower rate for bacteria control.

I really recommend the Aqua brand. They're a bit pricier, but well worth the money. Stay away from Jebo products. You get what you pay for and in the end you'll lose money buying another one down the road.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_Aquar...ltraviolet_sterilizers_ozonizers_aqua_uv.html

The Advantage 2000 is more than enough sterilizer for that size tank.

·
Registered
226 Posts
i second that with AaronT stay away from that one , Aqua Medic makes the same one which is better, I use a Turbo Twist 3x had it for a couple of years now it does ok only use it for GW then its off, they also have a bad rap for the plastic construction that they use {i think people use it 24/7} Now Gamma Current is a good one i would go the biggest one you can afford you will always go for a bigger display tank later in years{15w or 25w}

·
Super Moderator
5,865 Posts
I use a Turbo Twist 3x had it for a couple of years now it does ok only use it for GW then its off, they also have a bad rap for the plastic construction that they use {i think people use it 24/7}
Yes, I had one of those Coralife ones and it cracked at one of the hose barbs and started leaking into my apartment. Fortunately, I was home at the time and my wife caught it in time before it did too much damage. I've sworn off all of the cheaper brands now. If I ever get another one it will be an Aqua.

·
Banned
732 Posts
Shouldn't the flow rate of the filter or pump you are attaching to the UV be in the same range or below so that the water can be in contact with the UV rays longer?
You need to maintain the correct flow rate through the UV; however, typically this is done by using a bypass. I had a diagram to upload but it failed. Sorry.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yes, I had one of those Coralife ones and it cracked at one of the hose barbs and started leaking into my apartment.
I can understand how the Jebo ones are cheap and can break easily, but even Coralife sterilizers are poorly made? I'd rather not spend my money on a top of the line product knowing that I won't use it too much in the future. How is this UV Sterilizer?

·
Super Moderator
5,865 Posts
Well, to tell you the truth, I'm not entirely impressed with anything made by Coralife. It's all a bit overpriced for the quality of product you get.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts