Aquatic Plant Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Just found out about the Wet Spot, as I recently moved to Portland. I checked it out, and it's really incredible, everyone I talked to seemed very knowledgeable (they also are doing great at social distancing). Also going to purchase my next fish from them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
A UV sterilizer is a good to use whenever you add new fish. I keep one on hand for just this purpose. The one you bought sounds fine.

I don't think that you have to worry about snails and shrimp getting mycobacteriosis from whatever species of EM (environmental mycobacteria) that fish might be carrying. My snails did not get sick.

Humans getting Fish TB is fairly rare. Just don't clean tanks when you have an open wound, sores, pin pricks, etc. Unbroken skin is an excellent barrier to EM.

Parasites are probably a bigger problem with incoming wild fish than Fish TB. Read my article on fish diseases. Professional importers of valuable wild-caught fish often use a series of dewormers, including levamisole.

The UV will help, no matter what. It will help with bacterial infections secondary to the parasites. And if the parasites are small enough, it will kill them too.
can MB survive being dried out? Im wondering if i brought mb into my tank thru two separate purchases of fish recently. the first purchase i returned as the fish were clearly very sick and displaying dropsy. I then had no fish in the tank for some months, broke it down and moved it and recently restocked with dwarf puffers. 4 of the first 8 i ordered died within 24 hours. I euthanized the rest as they were wasting with crooked spines. Now i just 4-5 from my lfs that arrived with ich and are currently being treated. Im wondering how they will fare in this tank as it may be infected. Very nervous about spreading this to my established tanks, but i have mostly dedicated tools for each.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Scary stuff! I know I’ve put my hands in with broken skin/gotten the water in my mouth too. 😱
Consuming them wouldn't be bad. They die in heat and stomach acid. They'll only attack colder extremity parts of your body.

Actually, a good way to sterilize your tank or net is with hot (200f) water for a few minutes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Consuming them wouldn't be bad. They die in heat and stomach acid. They'll only attack colder extremity parts of your body.

Actually, a good way to sterilize your tank or net is with hot (200f) water for a few minutes.
I have a million more questions and I’m not sure what the right ones are or if there are answers. Does sunlight kill them or are the uv sterilizers more powerful? Is it something to really worry about? How prevalent do you think this bacteria is? What about erythromycin? I’m currently just monitoring my tank but I also bought some minnows from the grocery store earlier this year. Many unexplained deaths but now I have 5 left that seem healthy. Even added some swords to test and they seem healthy as well. If this stuff is everywhere then it seems like I may as well just not worry and try to keep my fish stress free. Haha sorry for so many you don’t have to answer!

·
Registered
13 Posts
MB live in soil So they‘re everywhere. Yes, UV is a good tool to control them. Germicidal UV with wave lengths around 250nm. The sun does provide that but not to the extent of a UV bulb.
But these are not the ones that cause disease, correct? Do you know anywhere that has good info on “fish handler disease”? I’d like to learn more, however I’m guessing it is not very infectious based on how little info there is about it and there only being ~100 cases in humans per year. Seems like few people know about fish tb and I’m sure people are tending their aquariums with small cuts on their hands/arms all the time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
MB live in soil So they‘re everywhere. Yes, UV is a good tool to control them. Germicidal UV with wave lengths around 250nm. The sun does provide that but not to the extent of a UV bulb.
So does using a uv sterilizer have any effect on competition between bacteria? Or is it simply sterilizing the water such that the bacteria can then only compete on say gravel/plants etc?
I’m also curious what do you think about vorticella? Could healthy “colonies” of vorticella have any meaningful impact on mb?

41 - 51 of 51 Posts