Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given some Vallisneria plants , I placed them into a pot with gravel for my 75 gallon tank, i placed them into my godlfish tank, and closed the lights , after a while i noticed that my godfish were at the surface of the water gasping for air, could it be caused by the Vallisneria? I placed an aquarium light for the Vallisneria, but do i have to have lighting 24 hours for my plants? was worried that the Vallisneria is competing with my goldfish for oxygen?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Val would require co2 from the fish. I don't think they would compete with the fish for 02. You don't need lights on for 24 hours.

what's the water paramaters for your tank? How many fish?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, tank is a 75 gallon tank, inhabitants are 8 pcs 3 inch goldfish, and some weather loaches.
filtration is a canister filter, a fluidized bed filter and a 4 ft overhead filter box.

nitrate is about 40ppm, ph 7.5
weekly 50% water change?

thank.s

·
Registered
816 Posts
nitrates look rather high there. I'd do a perhaps two water changes a week. It'll help add air. What's the temp?

Goldfish out put a lot of ammonia so will pollute the water faster. your tripple filtration methods sounds interesting, but I know nothing of the fluidised bed filter, something I should learn about.

goldfish get pretty huge. I had a 12 inch long (not including tail) one once in my 29 gallon. she weighed a pound when she died.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts