Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small pond, about 1/4 acre, and it is becoming overrun with Vallisneria. I understand that grass carp are ineffective against this species of plant and that there are few if any herbicides available that will control it. At present I have to manually remove the plants and that often causes some strays to reseed and spread to different locations. Any thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Vals spread by runners, so if you very careful you can remove several at a time.

I don't know anything that will kill the large ones except drought.

Good luck!

Bill

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
I'm not a big advocate of chemical control, but, if it comes to it, there are herbicides labeled for aquatic use (meaning they only kill the plants and not the animals, and don't persist very long). 'Round-up' has come up with an aquatic-labeled herbicide that would work well, but EVERYTHING in terms of vegetation will be killed.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Before doing anything, check with your local agriculture extension agency and/or FL Wildlife Services. FL has pretty strict rules on scenarios like this, even if it's private land.

Better yet, you're just a stone's throw from these folks. They are the experts: http://aquat1.ifas.ufl.edu/

·
Registered
298 Posts
Vallisneria tends to be very susceptible to H2O2,
about 2ml/gallon of 3% should kill all the leaves, continue every few days for a week or two to kill the crowns and roots.

It dissipates very quickly so I have no idea how you'd circulate it in a 1/4 pond.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts