Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was able to get a hagen geo system 100 on the cheap. I'd like keep the hood and lighting it came with but am concerned about the light level. The tank is 48 U.S. gallons at 39.5x16x19.5. The hood has 2x30 t8's. Okay okay I know its only 1.2 wpg but it still is 60watts...will this be enough to grow low light plants?

A plant list would be appreciated....Thanks

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Darn Darn Darn Darn....I was afraid of that. I really like the look of the hood so I just sent out an email to the good people at ah supply for suggestions to retrofit. I'm going to start another thread on that topic....

Thanks....

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Niko,

Thank you...I'd love to see those photos and to see what plants he is growing. My tank is set up in the living room so it does get some ambient light (north west wall) so no sun shining but still light. Thing is I'm starting this from scratch want to do it right...I've used co2 injection before and have it ready to go on this tank....I've read your thread starting a tank and want to do it that way but now is the question of light....I've read your threads about using that tube but I'm electrically challenged...I've looked at some websites and it seems I need to drive it with an icecap ballast and that is getting expensive....so a 96 watt PC from AH just seems an easy way to go...and I've used them before....

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Crownman....thank you for your imput. Many of those plants I'm familiar with and would like to grow...some I have to look up and will....

I'm finding that the tank will be getting some ambient light....I have a co2 tank and regulator so I will be adding co2 to the tank...If I stay with the low light I think that should be okay????

Thank you all once again....I haven't purchased any lighting yet as I'm still on the fence....

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found a good source for t5HO retrofit and a source to purchase that Giesemann Midday T5HO bulb.

Question for Niko.....if I put in 2x39W under the hood will this put into a very high light tank that will be tricky for me to keep in balance? Another question...is it easy to wire them with independent switches to vary lighting during the day?

Again thank you for your help...

Frank

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.