Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you perform your water changes? I have never used the Python method or for than mater have gone straight from the tap to the tank. I have been reading where this seems to be OK. I guess I am old fashioned because I like to have my water changes on hand already de-chlorinated and at the same temp and pH. I use a small transfer power head to fill the tank then.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I use buckets and gallon jugs :-( I plan on upgrading to a 30 gallon trashcan and a submersible pump very very soon though.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I used to do the same, but since I made my own python-like contraption I'd never go back. Haven't had any problems dosing dechlorinator directly into the tank while filling it up.

Regards
Giancarlo Podio

·
Registered
199 Posts
After being flogged and flayed in the APC Chat yesterday for being an old ninny (Buckets/Siphon Method) I went out and had petsmart match bigals price on a python yesterday. I do have to say with the python, easiest water change I have ever done. I must have changed 50% of the water (55G tank) plus buffered it in under 30 minutes. I do have to say I will never doubt those that rave about python/DIY python kits. They rock and I would never go back now either. Even if there is some chlorine in your water if you add the dechlorinator right after you fill it up I don't see that your fish would be affected (unless you are just heavy in chlorine.) I went and got a local water report for my area to check the % of chlorine and it was nil for my area.

Matt

·
Registered
156 Posts
I just use a hose from the tank down to the shower, empty half the tank, connect the hose to the shower and turn it on. Tune in the temp and that's about it. Never add anything but ferts to the water.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've got a dug well so no chlorine worries. Use the siphon/bucket method.

I do make sure I've done a load of laundry/ran the dishwasher so that if I need to add hot water to get the temps right it isn't something that's been rolling around in pipes and tanks all day.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Just a side note - on hot days the city water supplier increases the levels of Chlorine/Chloramine in the water.

That means that water changes with no dechlorinator are a no-no at that time. I know that it sounds almost absurd but some folk don't add declorinator to the water.

Also extra Cl may mean a need to add a bit more dechlorinator, but I personally don't actually do that.

--Nikolay

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gpodio said:
I used to do the same, but since I made my own python-like contraption I'd never go back. Haven't had any problems dosing dechlorinator directly into the tank while filling it up.

Regards
Giancarlo Podio
So how do you adjust the temperature then, trial and error? Do you then add your de-chlorinating solution to your tank?

·
Registered
302 Posts
I use the old bucket/yogurt tub method.

Perhaps its time to invest in a python or something similar.

How much time do you have before they drain the tanks? Do they suck in fish/plants?

Thanks!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm a bucket boy. I only have 40 gallons in 3 tanks so changing water is not bad. I siphon water into my 5 gallon bucket. Lug it downstairs and into the toilet. As it warms up the lawn or garden will get it. I then fill the tank in my tub and lug it back up the stairs. I use a Dolphin DP-115 submersible pump that is about the size of small powerhead and that pumps into my tank.

I made a little PVC thing to hang over the tank so I can walk away and let the tank fill up. Works great except I broke it. Have to make another. I put Prime in the bucket before putting the water in the tank.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I used to not dechlorinate until i lost all my fish to Chlorine. I also use the python method but at my moms house i have a unique problem, The python will not fit my faucet. Is there a way to make the python work like this?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts