Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Exotic Tropical fishes Expanded edition, It gives a paragraph about the water chestnut(trapa natans). Has anyone ever grown these before? My mom surprised me and brought some home. I ate one, sweet, very good. Another is floating in my ten gallon tank in hopes of it growing.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I popped three in, and the next day my tanks water became pretty blurry. Its hard to see to the back now. I moved thme to a yogurt tub, and they clouded that too! I think they are dead, but I'll have o check and be sure.

The hets don't seem to mind. In fact, they seem to feel more secure now, and are coming up to the front more often.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Trapa natans does not make a good aquarium plant. It is a robust floater that has very interesting diamond shaped leaves. A Lfs here in Hawaii brings in plants from time to time mainly for outdoor ponds. It is definitely a striking plants that contrasts nicely with lillies. I had a bunch growing for years in my pond... never collected the nuts though. Ludwigia sedidoides has the same look of T. natans but is much smaller. It has a trade name as "Mosaic plant" and can sometimes be found in the pond sections at Lowes or Home Depot. This too is considered a pond plant as it looks best as a floater. Come tothink of it, I have never seen L. sedidoides submerged. Has anyone?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.