Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few of questions about having water circulation in a planted aquarium.

I understand you do not want circulate or agitate the surface of the aquarium, but what about the water below the surface?

Does water circulation help reduce temperature in the aquarium?

Does water circulation help reduce Algae in an aquarium?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Water circulation helps with nutrient exchange, witch helps plants grow there by inhibiting algae. There is a LOT of debate as to how much flow is needed. Some say less flow so as not to disturb the plants, others use the nutrient exchange theory and add a lot of flow. If you break the water surface you will drive off co2, if you do not inject co2 this is not a problem. If you inject co2 you may desire to brake the water surface at night to drive off left over co2. I don't believe it have much to do with temp. In general I move to water a lot under the water surface.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Flow itself has nothing to do with temperature, but any pump or filter you add will increase the temperature of the water as it works.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Movement of the water surface helps effect gas exchange, which is very much needed. It is true that CO2 is driven off and O2 is introduced to the water volume. Water movement at the surface will increase evaporation, which is a cooling process. We have all evolved with the normal amounts of gasses in the air and water and the percentages need to be roughly correct for survival and life precesses to happen. A lot of us are injecting CO2 into tanks to effect increase plant growth and some of the things we do are contradictorary. There will be some waste and inefficiency in order to walk the fine line between plants and animals.

Criculation of water at all levels is very important, within reason (critters do not need to be tumbled by turbulance) so as not to allow plants to get coated by debris.

There are many hypothesis about Algae growth but not definite theorys that can be trusted. Algae is always lurking around and different nutrients and tank parameters can help control it but it always seems to come back. Good luck!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Movement of the water surface helps effect gas exchange, which is very much needed. It is true that CO2 is driven off and O2 is introduced to the water volume. Water movement at the surface will increase evaporation, which is a cooling process. We have all evolved with the normal amounts of gasses in the air and water and the percentages need to be roughly correct for survival and life precesses to happen. A lot of us are injecting CO2 into tanks to effect increase plant growth and some of the things we do are contradictorary. There will be some waste and inefficiency in order to walk the fine line between plants and animals.

Criculation of water at all levels is very important, within reason (critters do not need to be tumbled by turbulance) so as not to allow plants to get coated by debris.

There are many hypothesis about Algae growth but not definite theorys that can be trusted. Algae is always lurking around and different nutrients and tank parameters can help control it but it always seems to come back. Good luck!
Not sure I 100% agree with the algae statement. algae is a very well under stood aspect of planted aquariums. There are definite theorys that can be applied and trusted, like the estamative index. It's is no some monster waiting to get you. Just look at the hundreds of beautiful aquariums that run for years with little to no algae, I would say their theorys are correct.

·
Super Moderator
7,429 Posts
I don't doubt that most algae species are well understood and what needs to be done to avoid them is equally well understood. The difficulty is applying that knowledge. Or, more accurately, the difficulty is having enough devotion to the task to stick to it week after week after week. Those who have algae free tanks do spend a lot of time and effort on their tanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts