Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I currently have an aqua one tank and fill it right to the black lid so you do not see space between water and lid. With a standard tank where does everyone keep their level and how do i know how much water to pump in to keep it there?

Regards Darren

·
Registered
398 Posts
I keep mine like you do. When I start to see the water level getting close to showing I pour more tap water (well water) to the level is back up, usually 3-4 quarts

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Same here, I keep my tank as full as I can get it. My glass tank cover prevents alot of evap., so I don't usually need to top-off between water changes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I keep water up to the black part of the rim(125 gal). I never seem to have problems with evaporation as I do water changes(10%) every 5 days, so any water losses are minimal.

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
When doing water changes I fill my tank all the way up to the black plastic, where it is almost touching the over hang. I do weekly water changes, so I don't top off between water changes. If I happen to do a bi-weekly water change, then it takes about 1 gallon of water to top off.

·
Super Moderator
7,429 Posts
I use a continuous water change system that maintains the water level just above the black trim, using an overflow fitting. Works great!

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
Same as everyone else, no space between the trim and water level. I have 7 tanks and usually need to add water to 4 of them between water changes since I change water once every 3+ weeks and 4 are open top tanks. I'll add about 5 gallons of water between the 4 open top tanks (2 20g talls, 1 33g, and 1 44g) on a weekly basis, more if the weather is really hot.

·
Super Moderator
7,429 Posts
The "rimless" tanks I have seen have water up to about 1/2 inch from the top. Higher than that seems like it would risk splashing out of the tank.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I try to keep it filled to the top of the black rim, but I have an open top tank so it evaporates quickly. And at the moment its getting low... HAHA

1 - 11 of 11 Posts