Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a water lilly pod from my mother's pond this weekend and I opened it up and found seeds in it. How does one go about growing these seeds? Has anyone had experiance with such things?

·
Registered
195 Posts
You probably have a lotus pod, because lilies don't produce pods. If the seeds are good and dry, store them in a manila envelope in a cool, dry place until next spring. A few weeks before your last frost, take the seeds, and scarify them. The easiest way is to take some sand paper and lightly scrub them for a few seconds. This will allow moisture to penetrate the very thick seed in the next step. Once you've scarified the seeds, fill a mason jar half full of water, drop the seeds in and put the lid on the jar. Any seeds that float by the way, will not germinate, so discard those. Place the jar of seeds in a sunny window, and in a few weeks, you should see a small root start to break through the seed. You can transplant them to small cups of moist, potting soil once the seed has sprouted, making sure never to let the soil dry out. Eventually, they should form a little, round leaf. At that point, you will want to transplant them to a tub of heavy, clay soil. It's sort of difficult to raise lotuses from seeds, since they are such heavy feeders. It's probably just easier to buy a mature tuber through the mail rather than transplanting, but you might enjoy trying to grow one from seed. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
these look more like a white pomegranet seed. Actually, the whole thing reminds me of a pomegranet.
Are you sure it was mature when you picked it? If it was mature it should have been dry, hard, and brown. Do you have a picture? Maybe it's not what you (or I) think it is.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have a pic right now. I only had this opportunity to pick it as my mum's moving this weekend. It wouldn't have been dry as it was completely underwater.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Hmm. My guess is the seeds won't germinate, then, since they aren't mature. But I am truly not sure about it. I've never tried with lotus seeds.

Nelumbo, what do you think?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Well, does it look like the picture I've attached? If so, it's a lotus pod. A mature seed should be about the size of a small marble. If it's about the size of a pomegranate seed, then it is immature, and will not sprout. This time of year though, they should be all dried up.

Edit: For some reason the pic won't attach. Look at this link, and tell me if this is what it looks like.

www.nettletonhollow.com/lotus-pods.html

·
Registered
195 Posts
they're not lotus
Well, I'm not sure what you have then. Water lilies do not form a pod. Instead, the stem of the fertilized flower curls, and pulls the flower underwater, where the seeds form inside the flower. The seeds of a water lily are contained in a gelatinous coating. and are eventually released into the water where they germinate. They resemble the inside of a tomato. Below is a link to a photo of dried waterlily seeds.

http://www.shamanic-extracts.com/xcart/shamanic-products/blue-lotus-Nymphaeaceae-seeds.html

·
Registered
195 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm trying that method. I put them in an old chocolate container (clear plastic with lid) We shall see. if it works, cool, if not, well at least I tried.

I have a tiger lotus in my aquarium.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts