Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a visual person, so I put this chart/graph together today using fish water parameters information from 3 different online fish selling sites and averaging the numbers. I wanted to see how several common fish families relate to each other using PH and water hardness measurements. Some sites use KH (carbonate hardness), some use GH (general hardness), and some just say, "Soft", "Moderate" or "Hard". So the hardness numbers are approximate. Also very approximate are the placement of PH levels as they relate to water hardness. I started by aligning PH 7 (Neutral) with 6 DGH on the graph. I figured this was as close to neutral water hardness I can find. Less than 7PH is considered softer, or acidic. More than 7 is considered harder or alkaline. I am probably way off! For example, should the distance between PH6 and PH7 be the same as PH7 and PH8? Would PH5 be actually below or left of 0 hardness? I knew that Discus would be the softest/lowest PH fish and African Cichlids would be the hardest/Highest PH fish. It's interesting that Tetras have such a wide range of PH/hardness possibilities. I also assumed that the water hardness and PH levels would align more than they do. What do you guys think? Is it pure folly to try to find a relationship with PH and water hardness? Is this fairly accurate or way off? Looking for feedback. Thanks

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts