Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
finally did a KH and GH test today. I used an API test kit.

KH - it took 4 drops to change from blue to yellow and 5 drops made it turn really yellow.
GH - took about 7 drops to get an orange to green change.

can anyone help explain what this means?

the KH & GH conversion chart says that the number of drops is the same as the dKH and that correlates to a ppm. if so that means that i have around 80ppm for both kh. and 125ppm for GH.

will it be tough to have cardinals and gbr's in this water? what about plants, will this effect anything?

·
Banned
732 Posts
I don’t use the API kit but it seems the same as the Tetra kit I use. That means that 1 drop of solution equal 1 degree of gH or kH.

So 4 drops of kH equals 4 deg. carbonate hardness and 8 drops equals 8 deg. Total hardness. To convert to ppm multiply by 17.5:

4 x 17.5 = 70 ppm carbonate hardness (as CaCO3)
8 x 17.5 = 140 ppm total hardness (as CaCO3)

I don’t think this is too hard for almost anything certainly not Cardinals. Plants should be no problem. I don’t know what a bgr is?

·
Banned
732 Posts
so you have raised cardinals in water this hard?
If by "raised" you mean "bred" then the answer is no. If that is your plan you may need softer water. If you mean keep and maintain then you will be OK.

My water is about 80 ppm gH and my cardinals are doing very well. A gH of 140 ppm is slightly hard but cardinals can tolerate this. Here is some information on water hardness:

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/khgh.html

If you are worried about the hardness you can mix your city water with distilled or RO water. A 50/50 mix will reduce your hardness to 70 ppm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts