Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone think of any reason it would be bad to use water change water on outdoor garden plants? I thought it might be a good way to re-use some change water instead of just dumping it down the drain. And plus it has built in fertilizer, right?

My ammonia level is zero and I've only used dechlorinator and a little Stress-Zyme in the tank. Will this have any deleterious effects on terrestrial plants? I don't intend to eat any of the plants that I'll be watering. (I'll use my "clean" city water to water my veggies...)

Thanks!

Sam

PS: I'll be planting my 29gal this weekend now that I have the substrate and light. So excited!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Never throw water change water down the drain. Unless you are using medications, or any other strange chemicals in your tank, use the water to irrigate your plants and you can eat the vegetables.
Any medicated water can be, and should be, put on your lawn.

Using water change water is a very wise thing to do. The fertilizer in your tank from the fish and food makes it an ideal thing for plants.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'll second that Cliff!

My house plants love it too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"Fertigated", I like that :D
Jeff, it's actually an Agriculture term. It's mostly used when you send fertilizers through the drip irrigation and similar irrigation systems. I am studying Ag at university, so sometimes Crops terms slip in! But I thought it applied well here!:cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts