Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
8,540 Posts
I agree with you Matt. I just went fast track for 8 mths now and am loving it. I didn't even think about wpg before then. I have learned so much in the 8 months. Before then I went to the LFS and he called his supplier and I ended up paying 2x's a much as I would have. At least I got decent lights. That was about 4 yrs. ago. But I still didn't get the light/ferts/CO2 thing. All I knew is I needed fert tabs, excell and light. Didn't get the rest.

I'm not sure how you get to any general rule of wpg now however. Lights have gone high tech themselves.... When you consider all the "T" bulbs out there and then add the HO and VOH... But don't forget about the reflectors, none, mylar, sheet metal, aluminum, white paint (pure white or gloss?), etc.. It gets mind boggling. We haven't even mentioned type of bulb yet.... I doubt anyone can get to a general rule unless they qualify what bulbs, the reflectors, the tank depth....

There are so many variables. It gets confusing. I think that's why so many people ask for light help.

· Premium Member
8,540 Posts
This is a really good idea. Splitting the spreadsheet into multiple sets is a good idea.

I know that when you get down to the nano size you need a lot more light than you think you do. I have 80W over my 10 gal, and it is finally growing nicely, but not out of control. I have 45 watts over my 20g and everything grows like weeds. I have pressurized co2 on both.
This is a prime example of why we can't say 2wpg, even if we had the same fixture with the same bulbs. I love the spread sheet idea. It just might work.

Where is Hoppy's input?! He did great things with that light meter..... :D

· Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Perhaps some enterprising vendor will "develop" a divining rod that we can carry to the LFS and have it pick just the right light for us! I won't suggest which vendor will be first to offer it.
Wouldn't that be nice!!!

It's so complicated. I think we may be doomed to the "What light should I have ?? forever." Even with Hoppy explaining so well his ideas, he lost me. :noidea: I bet a lot of you knew what his figures represented. That puts a lot of pressure on you all that do get it! [smilie=n:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.