Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Carlos, Ha ha ha ha ha. I never thought you'll actually put anything up on the Singapore style after the non-conculsive responses you got from us at AQ.

Yep, we're a pretty un-philosophical/innovative/creative community. Pretty much a product of the past education system here. A system that has boosted education quickly since independence from the British in the 1960s, producing a population with high literacy and educational levels but comparatively lacking in creativity, and innovation. That's changing with recent policies by the govt... but that's a different matter.

Although English is the first language here, it isn't the strongest language for many. Some find the more in-depth articles and discussions in netspace intimidating.

Many of the trends in the planted tank hobby here are just a little behind what's happening on the APD, WetThumbs and APC. Main reason being that a bunch of us follow these lists/forums and introduce many of the ideas back to AQ.

Having said that, there are a number of ppl who have their own techniques and tricks, but are not active on the Internet or find little time to share. Some are simply non- or weak in English speaking/writing. All that in a way contribute to the lack of innovation.

Taiwan style is not prevalent here. The few I've seen are restricted to LFSes. I've yet to come across a local hobbyist with a Taiwan style tank.

After some thought, I think this is what the Rojak style is... There isn't a distinct, carefully cultivated style. Most beginners are first enticed by images of Amano's tanks, but the low cost and availability of many plants allow many hobbyist to populate their tanks with many varieties of plants much like the Dutch school. That results in a curious mix of both styles or the so called Rojak style.

There are those who conciously follow the Nature Aquarium style (like Aeon), and a smaller group that specifically go for the Dutch style. I think most are simply quite happy with the Rojak style.

A large percentage of the hobbyist here are men. And all male citizens here have to serve in the arm forces for 2 to 2.5 yrs, most of them in the army. I guess running around in the tropical "forests" have some influences in our perception of nature and aquascaping sense... thick undergrowths, wild growth, lots of wood.

One reason for the low use of rockwork in the Singapore style is the lack of nice rocks and their high costs. On the other hand, wood is easy to find in the stores and cheap. Mainly because it's much cheaper to import wood then rocks. Being a tiny speck on the world (or a "little red dot" as an interim leader of a neighbouring country once called us), we don't have much of natural resources, so even things like rock and wood are imported. We're lucky that the climate makes it easy and cheap to grow plants emersed on the farms and breed tropical fishes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thinking about it, I would say there are only 3 distinct styles? Amano's Nature Aquarium, Dutch Tanks and the Taiwanese (bonsai style, using coloured pebbles/gravel, figurines, miniaturised constructs to create a minature scenery).

Are there other distinct styles in Aquascaping?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts