Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for all of you: What's best to weight java moss down with? I'm adding it to various spots around the tank for my shrimp. Currently tying it down with cotton thread to a flat, thin piece of shale from the LFS. This a decent idea?
I'm getting pelia soon as well, that doesn't need to be weighted down right? it sinks on it's own if i understand correctly.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I always use fishing thread to tie mine down to various rocks and driftwood.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you are just laying the java moss on the substrate, you could use some stainless steel rod about an 1/8" thick. Just take about a foot of it, a pair of pliers, and start bending away. Thinking about it though, maybe you can weave some shorter chunks of rod through the moss.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
using cotton thread as it'll disinegrate over time, and by the time it does the moss will have rooted itself. i can just pull java moss off then when i need to prune then without worrying about the stupid fishing line.

·
Registered
204 Posts
riccia actually floats naturally, so you'll have to weigh that down too. I use fishing line, with lead fishing sinkers on each end of the line, or in the middle to weigh mosses down. Works great.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
actually what i meant when i made this thread was would it be better to use the shale or a piece of wood/driftwood. Which could the moss anchor to better?

·
Registered
174 Posts
HI
Anything that is porous and some that is not. What i mean is yes the moss will attach to the wood really well and lave rock. But it will even attach it self to man made gravel to. So just about anything moss will attach to. Enjoy !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts