Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I thought this was kind of cool and want an id if possible! I found a baby pigeon next to a construction site next to its dead parents, and took it home and raised it. So I have this bath/water dish for him, and neglected to change it for a couple weeks. It can be seen in this video of him :

Anyway, so i went to change the water today, and there were some awesome plants in there. Alot of them floating but a lot of them actually attatched to the plastic too! Im guessing they are not aqutic plants, but rather seeds brought in by the chickadees, but they attached just like java fern. I wish they were fully aquatic, they would make an awesome creeping plant! Anyway, they were pretty difficult to get off, even when spraying them with a light spray from the hose. Here are some pics, note, these were all completely submerged before emptying the water:

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
most likely from some airborne, terrestrial plant seeds....I've been disappointed a few times by that - a little plantlet in my otudoor buckets....

that being said, if the plants survive and thrive in emersed/submersed environment, that'd be pretty cool....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
most likely from some airborne, terrestrial plant seeds....I've been disappointed a few times by that - a little plantlet in my otudoor buckets....

that being said, if the plants survive and thrive in emersed/submersed environment, that'd be pretty cool....
the pigeon flies around, but never goes away haha, just flys to my hand everytime i go outside.

i figured it was just some terrestial plant, it was just cool how they attached to a piece of plastic.

·
Registered
89 Posts
the pigeon flies around, but never goes away haha, just flys to my hand everytime i go outside.
When I was a kid, I did the same for a baby blackbird that fell out of it's nest and got hurt. It stayed with us the summer, until it could fly well. He always flew over and perched on my finger. Awesome thing was, I never expected him to come back once he left in the autumn, but he came back and spent the next summer too!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I was a kid, I did the same for a baby blackbird that fell out of it's nest and got hurt. It stayed with us the summer, until it could fly well. He always flew over and perched on my finger. Awesome thing was, I never expected him to come back once he left in the autumn, but he came back and spent the next summer too!
thats cool! yeah, pigeons have homing instincts, so unless he gets eaen by a hawk/falcon (been chased twice already) he will always come back

·
Registered
733 Posts
Looks like duckweed to me. This is a floating plant that hitches a ride with other plants. A lot of people use it for removing nutrients in a Natural Planted Aquarium (using soil).

You can check out some images from Google.

It is actually beneficial in an aquarium. You can use it to control light intensity in the aquarium, remove excess nutrients in the water which in turn helps minimize the algae bloom.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Looks like duckweed to me. This is a floating plant that hitches a ride with other plants. A lot of people use it for removing nutrients in a Natural Planted Aquarium (using soil).

You can check out some images from Google.

It is actually beneficial in an aquarium. You can use it to control light intensity in the aquarium, remove excess nutrients in the water which in turn helps minimize the algae bloom.

Hope this helps.
from the structure of the plant and how it is growing, i do not believe it is duckweed.

·
Registered
733 Posts
from the structure of the plant and how it is growing, i do not believe it is duckweed.
I stand corrected. He had mentioned that it was submerged before he emptied the water.

What else could it be and if it grew submerged, may be a good ground cover for the aquarium.

regards,
Ravi

·
Registered
222 Posts
It could be a lot of things if it grew submerged since it is most likely from seeds. As you may know, duckweed tends to reproduce by budding and has a very simple root system which makes it impossible to use as a ground cover.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
I stand corrected. He had mentioned that it was submerged before he emptied the water.

What else could it be and if it grew submerged, may be a good ground cover for the aquarium.

regards,
Ravi
There are many, many terrestrial plants whose seeds will germinate in water. Once they get going, though, if they stay submerged, or even if the soil they are in stays too moist, they will die off.

-Dave

1 - 14 of 14 Posts