Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have an algae problem. I think it is beard algae. The tank is relatively new and I didn't use enough fast growing plants. I just went and purchased about 30 stems of Hygro Difformis and about 70 stems of Rotala Rotundifolia. I am hoping that these will grow quickly and out complete the algae. I am using 3 hagen CO2 systems and have a 110w cf.
Three Questions
1) - Do you think the plants will do the trick ?
2) - Besides CO2 should I be dosing anything else ?
3) - Do I need more light ?
I just wanted to set up a nice 75g like you see in the pictures looks easy lol.
It's not but this is still a lot of fun
Any help greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I have an algae problem. I think it is beard algae. The tank is relatively new and I didn't use enough fast growing plants. I just went and purchased about 30 stems of Hygro Difformis and about 70 stems of Rotala Rotundifolia. I am hoping that these will grow quickly and out complete the algae. I am using 3 hagen CO2 systems and have a 110w cf.
Three Questions
1) - Do you think the plants will do the trick ?
2) - Besides CO2 should I be dosing anything else ?
3) - Do I need more light ?
I just wanted to set up a nice 75g like you see in the pictures looks easy lol.
It's not but this is still a lot of fun
Any help greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I'd guess that the plants will help, but I'm also thinking you'll need to start dosing NO3, PO4, trace minerals and possibly Fe soon. Algae problems are typically caused by an imbalance in the tank. For my tanks, it's typically when I miss a water change or two and when I don't keep ferts dosed up. I'm still working on my "perfect" regimen, but I think it's getting there.

I think 110w cf (especially if you have a decent reflector) should be okay for a 75g tank. You likley won't see explosive growth, but you should see steady growth.

Do you have NO3 and PO4 test kits? Take a look at www.gregwatson.com for some fert ideas and do some searches through the archives.

Brian.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks
NO3 is about 12.5 mg/l
PO4 is around 0.5 so I suppose i need to bring it up to around 1 or a little more.
I have all of the Seachem line and was wondering if I should start using it all.
I guess I should thanks for your help.
One thing that confuses me is what should I dose after a water change ?
Should it be 50% if it's a 50% water change ?

·
Registered
0 Posts
I just got Seachem's phosphate and nitrate additives. They're easy to dose as it tells you right on the bottle how much to add as a beginner and as an advanced aquarist. As for your post-water change dosing, you should test after you let the water mix some, then dose according to your results to maintain a good ratio of N:p and and good level of other micronutrients you might be testing for. After a while, you may not even need to test as you start seeing the trend week after week.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts