Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok first time post, have been viewing for a few days and would like some specific help.

My fist 20 gallon high tank has been setup for about 1 year. I have 30 watts of light over it. Both bulbs in the 5000-6700 K range. I have java fern redludwiga and bacoppa in there. About 2 months ago I had an awful case of hair algae that seemed to wipe everything out. All plants were doing well, growing like crazy and then slowly seemed to die off. I was also dosing with Flourish, which I am think was a bad idea. I was doing weekly water changes the whole time so I am not sure what happened.

my new tank is a 55 gallon cichlid tank, cycled and running fora about 3 months. I currently have a 40 watt light over it with, 2 amazon sowards, 3 java fern, crypt, and something else that I cant rem. but I bought bc it sayed it was low light however it seems to be turning yellow. I have been adding about a half dose of Flourish about every other week. I was thinking of building a canopy and outfitting it with an AH supply 110 watt PC. I dont want this tank to be heavly planted maybe just a few more plants. Will this wattage be enough 2 watts per gallon seems to be ok. I have read that anything over that you have to add CO2 and I am not sure that I want to do that. Please help in anyway and if I have left out any inportatn info please let me know.

substrate in the 20 is gravel and in th3 55 is silica sand.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok first time post, have been viewing for a few days and would like some specific help.

My fist 20 gallon high tank has been setup for about 1 year. I have 30 watts of light over it. Both bulbs in the 5000-6700 K range. I have java fern redludwiga and bacoppa in there. About 2 months ago I had an awful case of hair algae that seemed to wipe everything out. All plants were doing well, growing like crazy and then slowly seemed to die off. I was also dosing with Flourish, which I am think was a bad idea. I was doing weekly water changes the whole time so I am not sure what happened.

my new tank is a 55 gallon cichlid tank, cycled and running fora about 3 months. I currently have a 40 watt light over it with, 2 amazon sowards, 3 java fern, crypt, and something else that I cant rem. but I bought bc it sayed it was low light however it seems to be turning yellow. I have been adding about a half dose of Flourish about every other week. I was thinking of building a canopy and outfitting it with an AH supply 110 watt PC. I dont want this tank to be heavly planted maybe just a few more plants. Will this wattage be enough 2 watts per gallon seems to be ok. I have read that anything over that you have to add CO2 and I am not sure that I want to do that. Please help in anyway and if I have left out any inportatn info please let me know.

substrate in the 20 is gravel and in th3 55 is silica sand.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I use Flourish line of ferts in all my high end tanks (CO2 high light tanks) But in tanks with low levels light or tanks with out CO2 I use Kent Pro Plant. Its a all in one additive for ferts. Flourish alone is not enough for plants. All So you need to test your tanks for NO3 and PO4. I would bet that one of these went out of balance and caused the algae growth in your 20gal.

My first plant tank was a 55gal. I too started off with 40w of light. You are gong to have to get 110w to grow low light plants. You can use the 40w but after about 4 months you will have algae take over. With 110w you don't need CO2 if you don't want it. I used 110w and 40w on my 55gal with CO2. In that set up I grew just about any plant for low to medium light plants.

Hawk

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok so right now I will have algae on the 55 but if I upgrade to 110 I will not? I will have to get some of that Kent product. Also I use carbon in my filters, should I remove it or ist it that big of a deal. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
17 Posts
Upgrading your light is just one piece of the puzzle. If you can keep NO3 5-10ppm and PO4 .2-.5ppm with 110w you should be ok with a weekly water change. If you use Kent Pro plant and Kent trace this set up, you should be able to keep algae under control.

I like the Hagen kit. I find that the SeaChem PO4 kits doesn't give accurate readings in low levels of PO4.

Hawk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts