Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel really silly asking this, but what's next?
I picked up a bunch of basic plants on Wed. at a local place(green cobomba, hornwort, bacopa, red ludwigia, and a small amount of frill and indica) brought them home, gave them all a quick bleach treatment (which turned out to be a great idea as I saw numerous small snails and 6 nymphs of some sort in the bleach water, and now many of the plants have some gray spots on their leaves, which I'm assuming is dead algae), and planted them in my 20G long which has a 2-3 inch Flourite substrate. After planting, I gave a dose of Flourish, Flourish Excel, and Flourish Iron to get them started (I'm not sure if this was a good or bad idea, but too late for that now
) and have just let them be since. They currently have 2 NO 20 W Flourescents (Which I think is fine seeing as how the tank's height is now only about 9" from the top of the substrate to the top of the tank). I did do another dose of the excel today. I guess I keep expecting to see some sort of changes take place, but everything looks exactly the same as it did Wed. afternoon.

What type of tests should I be doing? How often should I add the various treatments? Should I also be adding Flourish Trace at this time? Also this tank doesn't have any fish in at the moment, they will be added after it has cycled. I did add Tropical Science's NitroMax to the water when I first filled the tank (a day or 2 before plants), so do I need to be providing something to help get the bacteria started? Or are the plants doing that? Thanks so much in advance, you all are always so helpful.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I feel really silly asking this, but what's next?
I picked up a bunch of basic plants on Wed. at a local place(green cobomba, hornwort, bacopa, red ludwigia, and a small amount of frill and indica) brought them home, gave them all a quick bleach treatment (which turned out to be a great idea as I saw numerous small snails and 6 nymphs of some sort in the bleach water, and now many of the plants have some gray spots on their leaves, which I'm assuming is dead algae), and planted them in my 20G long which has a 2-3 inch Flourite substrate. After planting, I gave a dose of Flourish, Flourish Excel, and Flourish Iron to get them started (I'm not sure if this was a good or bad idea, but too late for that now
) and have just let them be since. They currently have 2 NO 20 W Flourescents (Which I think is fine seeing as how the tank's height is now only about 9" from the top of the substrate to the top of the tank). I did do another dose of the excel today. I guess I keep expecting to see some sort of changes take place, but everything looks exactly the same as it did Wed. afternoon.

What type of tests should I be doing? How often should I add the various treatments? Should I also be adding Flourish Trace at this time? Also this tank doesn't have any fish in at the moment, they will be added after it has cycled. I did add Tropical Science's NitroMax to the water when I first filled the tank (a day or 2 before plants), so do I need to be providing something to help get the bacteria started? Or are the plants doing that? Thanks so much in advance, you all are always so helpful.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I will let some one else chime in about the ferts as I do not use any of those particular products...
I only test KH & pH on a regular basis(injecting CO2) and every now and then I test NO3. I watch my plants for any signs of deficiencies...
Cycling a planted tank? Check out this site:
Cycling the Planted Tank
Besure to check out rest of this site... some very good straight up info.

Fred

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fred, Thanks for the site info. I had not been on that site before. But now I'm confused. It seems to give completely different information than what I've read elsewhere (for instance: http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_newtank.htm ).

So I guess I'm asking all of you which method do you use & why? Now remember, this tank is starting from scratch, I've never done a planted tank before and I don't have any fish that have to have a place to go.

Also as an update, I was gone for the weekend and I came home to a tank of floating hornwort and frill. The leaves had all separated from the stems and were a whiteish color. The stems were also whiteish and floating. I'm assuming the plants are dead which may have been caused by the quick bleach bath I gave them. What do you all think? On the upside the Bacopa & Ludwigia are doing great. They seemed to have sprouted some new growth over the weekend. I guess this is what I get for wanting to see some changes.

Also if there is anyone else that uses the Flourish ferts, please advise me on some sort of schedule for these, or direct me to where I can find this info. I've searched through a lot of archives, but am still unsure. Thanks so much for any help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Anutter, welcome to our site.

Some stem plant don't do well after a bleach bath. I would say you are right about what happened to your hornwort and frill.

Do you plan on adding CO2? If not you are ready for a low tech tank that you should be able to grow a wide verity of plants. With 40w of light you should be fine in a 20gal long.

How long has our tank been set up? If this is a new tank STOP dosing ferts until your NO2 levels or 0. Your tank has to cycle first. In a low tech tank as your tank is you don't have to add ferts as strong as in a tank that uses CO2. Your plants will not use the ferts up as fast as in tanks with higher light levels with CO2. I have a couple of tanks I don't use CO2 in. The only ferts I use is Kent Pro Plant. Its a all in one fert that works well. If you don't use CO2 using Flourish Excel is good but be careful if you have a heavy fish load. You really need to watch out dosing Iron in a low tech tank. It can cause algae on the glass and slow growing plants.

As far as test kits go, in a low tech tank you could get by with just PH, NO2 and NO3 kits. I like to keep a PO4 kit around too.

Since you have all ready been dosing ferts in a new tank you need to start doing water changes. In a new tank I do water changes two to three times a week for the first two weeks.

Keep us up to date on your new tank. I hope we can help you.

Hawk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts